1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Safety Connect wouldn't disconnect

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by afob3, Sep 18, 2013.

1. afob3

afob3 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Two weeks into ownership of my 2011 Prius. Loving it so far but I hadn't been shown what the SOS button does when purchased. Instinct told me it was Toyota's "on star" so I pushed the button to see what happens. It tells me it isn't registered and to push again for more information. OK sure lets get the sales pitch so I push it again.

I get a nice enough lady that wouldn't give me much information with out my VIN or the name on the account. I get that she is protecting the previous owner's info & tell her I'm driving so can't provide the VIN. No big deal, I'll try again later. She thanks me an says she will end the call.

Here's where it gets interesting. Somehow the call wasn't disconnected. I've got a blinking green LED (indicating call in progress) and the radio is still muted out. Turn the car off / on at the next stop light with no disconnect. My route goes by the dealer so I pulled in to the bay and asked for help. The only idea the tech had was to disconnect the battery. Not too excited to have to reprogram everything so we/I decided to call the 800 number in the manual.

Five minutes & several questions later the rep was able to find my call in the system & kill it. Whew! I don't think I'll touch that button again. :)

I did learn in the conversation though that the SOS has a back up battery of some sort so disconnecting the 12v in the trunk wouldn't have helped. I also assumed it used my bluetooth connected phone for connectivity. Instead it has it's own cellular antenna.

I just found the subscription info online. The one piece that bothered me was if financed through Toyota, they can use the system to find your car if in default. (Naturally, that isn't going to be an issue for me but it is definitely a little bit 'big brother'.)

2. Priusmpg

Priusmpg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just got out this pickle my self on my '14 ES its annoying how they cant get a call to end properly it took me 30 mins.