1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Safety Connect

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by michaelm, Sep 7, 2014.

1. michaelm

michaelm New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    We've been given a free three year contract to Safety Connect in our 2014 Prius Plug-in. I've read a few threads on PriusChat regarding Safety Connect as well as a number of other articles, and I understand what it provides. Can anyone here tell me in practical terms how it is used? For example, what happens when one presses the SOS button? Does it require a smart phone or some other device, or does the equipment in the car take care of the connection. Does a person or a robot speak to the car's occupant, and if so, how? What if one presses the button by accident or just to see what happens; what happens? Can the button pressing action be canceled? Why aren't there any practical instructions on how to use the system.

Not wishing to muddy the water, but my questions take me over into Entune. We don't have smart phones, so apparently we can't fully use or appreciate Entune's capabilities, but does anyone out there have an suggestions or advice to give about using Entune.

Michael in Mendocino

2. nwprius

nwprius Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    When I drove my new Prius w/SC home I stopped in the driveway and pressed the SC button and a voice came on immediately and said "my name is Rita is this an emergency?" I responded that "No emergency just checking to see if it worked". Rita responded "Mr A you are in a white 2011 Prius sitting in your driveway" and then went on to explain what all they would do for me if needed. Give it a try just for your satisfaction. No phones or other devices needed and you are indeed speaking to a live person who knows exactly who you are and where you are. The instructions are in my manual that came with the car.

Entune, I cannot help you. Have fun, good luck, and be thankful for an extremely helpful safety device. Bob

michaelm likes this.
  3. michaelm

michaelm New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks very much, Bob. My wife's response was, "When in doubt, read the instructions!" I'll get back in the manual, but I've had college courses that required less reading!

4. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    There is a cell phone built into the Advanced which provides communication for Safety Connect. Your current location is provided using GPS to the real live human operator. This phone is also used to upload the data to a server for the "Advanced" Entune smartphone apps such as charge management and vehicle location.

5. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Entune requires a smartphone along with whatever data costs are associated with using the apps. It will not work with all smartphones. My smartphone charges extra (ok only $ 15/month for "unlimited" data which I haven't activated) but since I don't commute or travel in unfamiliar areas the Entune apps aren't of much interest.

6. CharlesH

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The answers here differ between the Advanced and the Base model. The Advanced uses Sirius/XM data for traffic info and some useless info such as sports scores and stock prices (when the complementary 3 year subscription expires, it is renewed separately from the normal XM subscription); the Base requires a smartphone to get this information. Media stuff like Pandora requires a smartphone in both models. For purposes of this discussion, "smartphone" is iPhone or Android.

#6 CharlesH, Sep 8, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  7. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Interesting, I didn't know that about Advanced. Do you have a problem hitting ctl-V too many times :)

8. CharlesH

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    @#!# new keyboard. Haven't got used to it yet.:oops: