1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sam's Club $60 Michelin Sale 8/24 - 9/30

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ohioflash, Aug 27, 2007.

1. ohioflash

ohioflash New Member

Sam's Club $60 Michelin Sale 8/24 - 9/30
    I have decided to purchase a set of Michelin X Radial DT from Sam's Club.
    According to Consumer Reports they are suppose to have a LRR.
    Checking prices on line the 195/60/15 87S are $103.86 ea. right at $400 out the door with the $60 off.
    I also checked prices for my son's car which is 205/65/15 92T and found the same tire in that size is
    only $81.74 ea right at $310 out the door.
    My question is can this tire be used on my 07 Prius ?
    Thanks

Revolutions Per Mile 823

Overall Diameter: 25.3

2. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unless you're a really aggressive driver willing to trade mileage for handling, I hunch you may find the 205s too wide. Do you know what the Revolutions Per Mile are for your listed choices? To keep your speedometer and odometer accurate, it's important to keep this relatively close to original (I think it's 855, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.)

3. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just had my Michelin Hydroedges installed at Costco yesterday.
    I put 195/60/15 tires on.
    When we got home, DH put air in them to bring them up to 40/38.
    They are very nice :)

4. ohioflash

ohioflash New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Aug 27 2007, 01:30 PM) [snapback]502775[/snapback]</div>
    Revolutions Per Mile 823

Overall Diameter: 25.3

5. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ohioflash @ Aug 27 2007, 10:15 AM) [snapback]502766[/snapback]</div>
    "CAN" and "SHOULD" are often two different things.
    Can you? Probably.
    Should you? NO. Why would you want to? <_<

*2007 Prius???? Just how many miles you have on those tires? Do you "NEED" new tires?

Costco also has the Michellin tire $60 off until 9/2. . . Plus you get the free nitrogen . . . and you don't have to be seen at Sam's Club. :lol:

6. ohioflash

ohioflash New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Aug 27 2007, 01:51 PM) [snapback]502786[/snapback]</div>
    Costcos are few and far between in Ohio closet is 120 miles.
    I have 10,000 miles and have hydroplaned 2 times on interstate 75 in the pass month.
    Plus their Tire Installation Package which is also honored at any Walmart.

Tire Lifetime Balance - SAM’S CLUB will upon member’s request re-balance the covered tire for the usable life of the tire (2/32nds tread remaining).

Tire Lifetime Rotation - SAM’S CLUB will upon member’s request rotate the covered tires for the usable life of the tire (2/32nds tread remaining).

Tire Lifetime Flat Repair* - SAM’S CLUB will repair any repairable puncture on the covered tire at no cost to the member for the usable life of the tire (2/32nds tread remaining).

Road Hazard Protection* - Expands the workmanship / materials warranty to include tire failure caused by road hazard incurred in normal driving conditions (e.g., a cut, snag, bruise, impact break or puncture, whether repairable or not). In the event a replacement tire is needed Tire Installation Package charges are applicable. All other terms and conditions of the workmanship / materials warranty are applicable

7. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ohioflash @ Aug 27 2007, 11:12 AM) [snapback]502802[/snapback]</div>
    First of all, if you have hydroplaned twice in the past month . . . SLOW DOWN!!!! Any tire will hydroplane, but yes, some are better than others. I never had a hydroplaning problem with the OEM tires . . . especially with only 10,000 miles on them.

Costco also has the same Installation Package coverage. BUT, you get free nitrogen too. I'm not sure if Sam's does nitrogen.

An Installation Charge of $10.00 per tire is included in the price. This includes:

Mounting
    Lifetime balancing
    Lifetime rotation
    Lifetime flat repair
    Lifetime air pressure checks
    New rubber valve stem
    Costco Wholesale's road hazard warranty

http://www.costco.com/Tires/Product.aspx?I...T&Width=185

Having closer stores is better, but me personally, I avoid Walmart/Sam's like the plague. Costco's return policy, warranties, and customer service is legendary. I personally would go for the drive.

8. plantz

plantz Junior Member

The Costco sale in my area (Northern Calif.) is $80 off.

I'm thinking of trying the Primacy MXV4 instead of the X Radial DT in a 195/60/15 size. Has anyone tried the Primacy?

9. myhy05

myhy05 New Member

I too am looking for replacement tires for my '05 at Sam's Club. Noise and safety are my top considerations for this car. I had HydroEdge's on my previous buggy ('96 Camry XLE) and was unhappy with both noise and ride. I eventually replaced them with the MXV4 which proved more to my liking.

I'd like to know from other '05ers what they have tried that is 1) low on noise and vibration and 2) handles well on snow and ice especially if they replaced with the same size.

10. FL Buckeye

FL Buckeye Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Have you checked with your Sam's to see if they will install the size you are thinking about? I've never been able to get Sam's Club to install other than the OEM size tires on my cars.

11. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Aug 27 2007, 03:52 PM) [snapback]502848[/snapback]</div>
    Ummm, the OEM's that came with my 2004 were always bad on wet roads, and I lucked into a reimbursed roadtrip for work and a sale on TripleTreds so at 25,000 miles I scrapped them.

The new TT tires didn't slide all over the place in the rain like the OEMs, and I could pull out into traffic without the tires slipping ON DRY ROADS causing the traction control to kick in. Life was much better. As they have worn, the grip is less and some bad things are happening, but not as bad as the OEMs were when they were new.

Slow down? SURE, everyone could drive at 2MPH all the time, to be sure the tires gripped the road no matter the conditions. Life doesn't really work that way, and poor tires performing well for one person should not be used as an example of how all people should use those tires.

I will count on replacing my next new Prius' tires at purchase unless the reports show the tires aren't junk anymore, but maybe this time give Michelin a shot...

12. plantz

plantz Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FL Buckeye @ Aug 29 2007, 06:57 AM) [snapback]503727[/snapback]</div>
    There is no Sam's in my area, so I shop at Costco. I haven't asked my local Costco yet if they will install the 195/60/15. Information on their website says that one should never install a smaller size.

I thought of a way to probably finesse the local people if they don't want to install the larger size. I can order the size I want online. Once the local people have the tires on hand, they will quite probably install them rather than send them back and refund my money. I haven't tried this yet, but the design of the Costco website is such that I would probably have to lie about what kind of car I have. For example, the 2005 Toyota Corolla GT uses 195/60/15 tires.

Ideally, my local people will be reasonable and sell me the oversize tire.

13. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(plantz @ Aug 28 2007, 10:58 PM) [snapback]503658[/snapback]</div>
    Same in Southern California.

14. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Aug 27 2007, 12:52 PM) [snapback]502848[/snapback]</div>
    Not everyone lives in sunny California.
    I hydroplaned twice with the OEM tires... and they are now history.
    At 7000 miles, I now have Michelin Hydroedges, because where I live, it RAINS.

Sometimes it is the driving conditions, not actually the driver.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(plantz @ Aug 29 2007, 08:08 AM) [snapback]503760[/snapback]</div>
    Costco will only sell a size that is within 3% of the OEM.

So, I went from 185/65/15 to 195/60/15, which is less than 2% difference. Costco had no trouble doing this for me. They have a calculator for it. HOWEVER, you can't check this online, you have to go into their shop and ask.

15. plantz

plantz Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rae Vynn @ Aug 29 2007, 12:17 PM) [snapback]503899[/snapback]</div>
    Sometimes it seems like everyone lives here, especially on the highway. :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rae Vynn @ Aug 29 2007, 12:17 PM) [snapback]503899[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you for your comments.

I plan to order them tomorrow. There are two Costcos near me, and I don't think either one has the Primacy 195/60/15 in stock. So I can buy them on sale, but they won't arrive until next week and I can get them installed when the shop isn't so busy.

16. plantz

plantz Junior Member

If my math is correct, the 185/65/15 has a diameter of 62.15 cm (=24.47 in) and the 195/60/15 has a diameter of 61.50 cm (=24.21 in). So the 195/60/15 is 1.05% smaller in diameter.

17. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I lived in Western Washington State for three years, so I too know about driving in rain.
    Funny thing, with all the benefits of living in California, forgoing the physics of hydroplaning on a wet road is not one of them. ;)
    Slowing down ALWAYS works.

How many of the people who give up perfectly serviceable tires do so JUST so they can drive faster in the rain? :huh: That doesn't sound any safer to me.

18. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ohioflash @ Aug 27 2007, 12:15 PM) [snapback]502766[/snapback]</div>
    $80 per tire is way more than I would pay for tires. For the last 3 years I've been getting my tires from www.edgeracing.com for my VW TDI Wagon. I buy a Falken Ziex 512 high performance all-season tire in the stock size: 195/65/15. The last set cost me $188.08 including shipping and the local tire shop put them on and changed the valve stems for $50. The Falkens have very good traction on dry pavement, good traction in rain, and decent grip in snow. They last about 35K miles (I'm on my 3rd set). The mpg didn't drop compared to the stock Michelin Energy low-rolling resistance tires that come one the VW. When the Prius needs tires it will get a set of Ziex tires to replace the cheap and greasy Kumho's that it currently wears.

19. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jhinton @ Aug 29 2007, 03:18 PM) [snapback]503937[/snapback]</div>
    Guess it all depends upon how you like to do your math and spend your time.
    The Michelin HydroEdge are a top rated tire. They're rated at 90k miles...I'll get almost as much distance out of them as you're getting out of 3 sets of the Falken's. I'll only pay ONCE, at $10/tire for install, balance, rotations, and road hazard warranty...you'll pay that 3 times. By my math we're paying around the same amount per mile of tire life but I get a superior tire and only deal with the hassle once instead of 3 times.

20. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Aug 29 2007, 03:25 PM) [snapback]503943[/snapback]</div>
    I guess we disagree on what makes a good tire. To me mileage/life while important is trumped by grip / handling. The tire is the only thing that connects your vehicle to the road. No matter how good your ABS system is, if your tire co-efficient of friction is low your vehicle takes longer to stop and slides off the road sooner.

To me tire adhesion is a matter of safety and any tire that has a hard enough rubber compound to go 90K miles does not have enough adhesion to the road. Not to mention 90K miles at 15K miles per year is 6 years. In 6 years time the tire compound will harden even more and have even less adhesion. The tire blocks will start to crack and separate. The sidewalls will start to crack from flexing and dry-rot.

The Ziex 512 is rated for 60K miles but I replace them when the outer edges get worn to the wear bars. I do this for safety and wet weather traction. (The VW has soft springs which allow lots of body roll in corners. This weights and wears the outside edge of the tire while the center tread is still OK)