1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

San Diego Mod Support.....

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by GreenRide, Mar 27, 2012.

1. GreenRide

GreenRide New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Ok, so I have mod envy....

I'm completely new at this, I have a 2011 Prius in dark gray and would really like to do the following to my car:

1) Add a body kit & lower car (FIVE AXIS DESIGN BODY KIT)
    2) Add new wheels and tires
    3) Tint windows
    4) Shark fin antenna

Where do I go in San Diego to aquire the parts and have the work done?

Does lowering the car have any side effects? how quickly do the tire wear out now that the stock 15" are replaced by say 17" and what does that do to the ride/feel?

Thank you in advance.

Dylan Doxey likes this.
  2. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey, welcome...I will try and answer some questions the best I can.

1) Add a body kit & lower car (FIVE AXIS DESIGN BODY KIT)
    For the body kit, best bet would be online as far as I know or directly from the manufacturer. The lowering, it depends on how long you want to go and how much you want to spend​

2) Add new wheels and tires
    Wheels/tires also depends on what size you want, you mention 17's which will require you to most likely go with at the very least a 215 tire which will lower MPG even if you can find wheels lighter than the 15's(=$$$)​
    3) Tint windows
    I have had my previous cars including my 08 Prius and 07 Eclipse done at Low Cost Auto Glass on Clairmont Mesa Blvd. but not sure if they still do tint. Solar Eclipse in National City does good work from people I know who have been there but also remember the Prius has a lot of windows which brings the price up. I would imagine anything lower than $200 is a good deal for this car ​
    4) Shark fin antenna
    Priuschat Shop. The Shop link is at the top of this page, just navigate through the 2010-2011 Accessories and find the shark fin, pick your color, and order it. last I checked it was $82.​
    Does lowering the car have any side effects? how quickly do the tire wear out now that the stock 15" are replaced by say 17" and what does that do to the ride/feel?

The ride will most likely get stiffer and you will scrape on things that you previously didn't depending on the lowered height. Mine scrapes on my driveway at stock height since we have those crappy rolled ones instead of actual 90 degree curbs and cut out driveways. The 17's will need a narrower sidewall to keep the speedometer reading accurate so the ride may get a little firmer and depending on if you go with a performance tire with low tread wear rating, the life should be the same for a 15 vs. 17 tire with the same UTOG

3. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    1) Look around these sites, and first figure out what you want....
    [ame=http://www.google.com/search?q=prius+body+kit+2011&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a]prius body kit 2011 - Google Search[/ame]

2)F8l has a good handle on tires and wheels....
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...ires-current-list.html?highlight=tires+wheels

3)I did a broad search San Diego, I used Pinnacle Brand tint, great choice you can read about it here...
    Automotive Car window tinting Pinnacle - Tint Plus

4)Right here at the Prius Chat Shop.....
    http://priuschat.com/shop/product_info.php/products_id/30

You had better post pics after all the info I gave you! :D

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    A quick highjack to mention that I will be in San Diego on April 27 if someone wanted an excuse for a mini meeting in the afternoon.

:focus:

5. GreenRide

GreenRide New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thank you all... Who paints and installs the body kits, if purchased online?

6. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You would have to line up a GOOD autobody shop, not Earl Sheib, anybody can put paint on, it's getting it to stay put and look good that defines a great paint job from a bad one!

7. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Carrillo Auto Body painted my CF hood 2 years ago. Good job but be prepared to pay for it.

8. aportades

aportades Team Thrust Racing

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Any mods you put on the Prius will basically lower your MPG.

1. I know a guy that can do tint for good price and results are great.
    2. Lowering your Prius I can assist you on that just buy the springs.
    3. Kits check online and to get them painted you can go to SDCS ask for JC or Jocson Auto Body ask for Frank

9. SoCalBPrius

SoCalBPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Since u have a model V package, don't u already have 17" wheels & tires hence the new 17" wheel & tire u buy should be a wash or close to it as far as mpg goes & tire wear is not that much worse IMO. As for lowering the car, the ride will be more firm but the tradeoff would be better handling. So the feel is slightly bumpier less cushiony(if u have the 15" wheel) but more stable especially @ quick turns & highway speeds.

As for parts, the sharkfin can be found on priuschat shop & is an easy install. Window tinting, others who live in the area will chime in. Wheels & tires, how much do u want to spend:D? As 17" wheel/tire packages can vary from $1000(more or less the cost of mine) to over $3000(forged top name brand). Do some research on what design(style) u might like & see what brands make them. BTW, Five Axis has some nice wheels that would obviously match well w/ their body kit. I believe u can buy the kits in Juicedhybrid.com last I checked but not sure if they are the cheapest. Good luck & have fun in modding your prius:).

10. docPRIUS

docPRIUS New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I recently had my 2012 Prius lowered at SoCal Suspension in El Cajon. I got the Eibach Pro kit, alignment, & installed for $500 out the door. I was just wondering if anyone would be interested in starting a Prius Club here in San Diego or is there already one that I'm not aware of? We can do a 'cars & coffee' type of meeting like the one they have in Carlsbad except it will be all Prius cars ("Prius & Coffee").

11. aportades

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'd be interested!! Wouldn't mind seeing other Prius mods and ideas.

12. maoira

maoira Junior Member

St Paul, MN (formally from San Diego, CA)
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'd be interested to in a Prius meetup.

BTW I got my tint done at SD Tint off University in La Mesa. Did a good job.

13. docPRIUS

docPRIUS New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes , I'm interested as well to do a Prius meet in San Diego. I would like to see what other Prius owners here in San Diego had done to their beloved Prius...Maybe we should start a thread a 'call-out' for a San Diego meet. Btw, there will be one in Torrance on Apr 28th at the Toyota museum. There's a thread about it here in PC. If u guys want, we can do a convoy going there...

14. boleboom

boleboom New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Can you PM me with contact for the Tint job? I am in No County. Thanks

1 person likes this.
  15. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, another request for a tint shop since my places went out of business or aren't doing tint anymore.

16. NortTexSalv04Prius

NortTexSalv04Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I disagree with "ANY" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I think you have to go mod by mod and realize that some are based on personal preference and pride of ownership.......

17. mark@3dyn

mark@3dyn New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We send or take all our customer and shop cars to Tint Devil on Miramar Road. I think we must have had at least 20 done there so far, from BMWs to countless Subarus (we run Kartboy Subaru products our of our shop nearby). I don't think I would risk going anywhere else, honestly. That said, I still need to take my new Prius in to get it done.

San Diego tinting! San Diego window tint! Tinting San Diego! Window Tint San Diego!

Mark

18. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you are up for a road trip, drive up to Premier Protective Films in Orange, CA. They do fantastic work.

For lowering springs, consider the Prius Plus Lowering Springs. After 1 week and nearly 800 miles, I can honestly say that the ride is softer than stock.

1 person likes this.
  19. aportades

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So no meet up scheduled yet??

20. GaR619

GaR619 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius