1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Save the planet vs. Save the wallet

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by fulltank, Oct 19, 2011.

1. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Technically when compared to Corolla you have to drive Prius ~180,000mi to break even

1 person likes this.
  2. fulltank

fulltank New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I guess it's all semantics. For myself, I'm comparing my savings after trading in my '02 Suburban which got less than 15 MPG. I don't like using the word 'saving' but my monthly gas bill has been reduced by $300. So, after 6 years I will have saved almost $22K which just about pays for my car. I know you could look at this several different ways but I'm quite happy with the direction things are going...

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks!

The average mpg difference between my 15s and 17s is about 6-7mpg. Right now fuelly is showing about 10mpg difference but it will even out as I add more fillups.

Expect to lose about 3-4mpg with the 17" wheel package. That is my best guess for the v.

1 person likes this.
  4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    No Corolla will do the job of the Prius in my case, the correct comparison for me is a vehicle with as much maximum cargo floorspace, like small SUVs

Comparing it to a Smart does not apply if you need to carry more than one passenger, comparing it to a Hybrid sedan does not apply if you need to carry a step ladder with you, etc.

You need to compare it to a vehicle that also meets your needs.

1 person likes this.
  5. J5A

J5A Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Jimbo, do you usually have your stepladder in the vehicle?
    It's freaky to think what would happen to your head or torso if you were ever in an accident, especially hit from behind. :eek:

6. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Also note that it seems only hybrids and EV's are in the "when will I break even" category on pricing. No-one bats an eye when spending $50K on a mid-level SUV.

2 people like this.
  7. fulltank

fulltank New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    AMEN BROTHER! Funny how that works!!! I believe you need to drive SUV over 900K miles before you can even begin to see a glimmer of daylight. At least if purchased new...

8. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, as you see in my Picture under my name. <-
    It is against the passenger side glass, I am not sure why it would get to the driver's seat. The other stuff in my car will pummel me.

[​IMG]

9. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Is that a old-school PS2 IBM-based keyboard? The ones with the metal buttons and not the silicon membrane?

10. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I think that is an AT plug keyboard my clients needed. I still have clients using Windows 95 as a server OS. <sigh>

11. J5A

J5A Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I was going by your profile pic; it looks like the ladder is right behind the driver's seat.
    Your Prius certainly holds a lot of cr..stuff. :)

I used to deliver flowers driving an open cargo van. We used bricks and cinder blocks to keep the flowers in place. It occured to me how terrible it would be to stop suddenly from impact and have those things hurl toward the front. The flower shop switched to foam holders soon after.

12. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ah yes, that's what I meant and not what I typed. The good 'ol Model M with the IBM AT connector. I have a AT to PS/2 adapter that I use to get it to hook up to everything except my actual AT computer!

13. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Compare the Matrix , if anything vs. Prius, not Corolla.

Hatchbacks always cost more than cars with trunks (i.e. Corolla vs. Matrix)

You will break even between a Matrix 1.8L automatic and Prius Two given best case MPG of each in about 90,000 miles, even at $3.50 / gallon.

but Prius is a much nicer car than Matrix. Prius - Smart Key, push button start, auto climate control, more interior room. Don't have to listen to auto trans shift.

14. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, in my entire service area there is only one store with more computer gear than a Walmart, so If I am not carrying it, I can't get it.

[​IMG]

As you see, I have two seat backs 'protecting' me on the driver's side. Lets hope I never test this.

(Tonight my Prius is strangely empty, I am shuttling the cast and crew of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat to the theater so the parking lot can hold the audience)

[​IMG]
    If you have a large cast (particularly with children, who have parents, and grandparents, etc.) infinite parking would still not be enough. You are not seeing the band, props crew, scenery crew, dressers, sound crew, lighting crew, etc.

15. fulltank

fulltank New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Are you as creative loading passengers as you are with keyboards and ladders?

1 person likes this.
  16. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    While I had some loads of 5, they all show up, go away at different times, so I rarely get to fill the car.

17. jhknight

jhknight Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I could care less about the "green" factor. For me it's all about being tired of being f99999d over by the big bad greedy bastards at the oil company who whine over their multi-million dollar salaries not being enough!!!!!!!!!!!! Trouble is electric cars are not practical in rural america so I'm still waiting -30 years and counting- for the 100 mpg car! or the one that will burn water....

18. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Funny you should say that, I figured that I'd end up around even buying a Prius instead of another Civic. We put around 20,000 miles on our primary car.

I'm on the "Save the planet" side, with particular attention to "Save the humans". I wanted the most efficient car that fit our needs. I could afford to spend a bit more, but didn't want to spend too much, but I expect it to at least get close to even in the long run.

But I'm quite happy to read about "save the wallet" owners since the Prius doesn't care about motivation.

19. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is a totally facetious argument. Why pick the Corolla? Why not pick the Yaris? Why not pick a 10-year-old Civic? That would really save you money.

When people buy a car, usually they have a number that they are comfortable spending. Then they look at cars that fall near that number, and compare features (occasionally they get smitten by something a little above that number, but that's the emotions talking, not logic).

But if you do choose the Corolla as your comparison vehicle, let's look it over.
    Corolla: $16,000, 31 mpg combined
    Prius: $23,500, 50 mpg combined

Drive for 5 years at 15K miles/year, assume gas averages $4/gallon from now to 2016. Ignore difference in maintenance (like brake pads)
    Corolla: spend $9677 on gas, assume resale price of $8,600
    Prius: spend $6000 on gas, assume resale price of $12,400
    (resale prices are based on current Kelly Blue Book value of a 5-year-old Prius/Corolla under normal conditions and 75K miles, I might argue the Prius price is lower than I'd expect, but I'll go with it)

So over 5 years:
    Corolla costs 16000 + 9677 - 8600 = $17077
    Prius costs 23500 + 6000 - 12400 = $17100

Looks like a wash to me. Might as well get the one you want.

Considering the Prius has more interior room and provides insurance against a serious future spike in gas prices, that'd be my choice, hands down. (To be honest, I didn't know how the numbers would work out when I started this. I didn't go back and tweak the miles driven or assumed gas price. I'm honestly surprised the final number came in that close).

1 person likes this.
  20. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    To answer the original question, I'm an engineer. I like efficiency and things that work properly. I also like our environment that we live in. I'd been waiting a long time for a functional car that got >40 mpg in real world driving. I've also read some scary stuff about oil supplies and always tried to do my part in reducing our oil consumption ('peak oil' tends to bring up images of solar-panel-packing gun-toting survivalists, so I prefer the phrase, 'end of cheap oil' which is the more obvious situation unfolding now).

So when my old car was showing some problems, I went for the Prius, and I guess you'd have to say it was for the environment, more than saving money per se. Although I'm also quite frugal, and have no problem buying used cars, at the time the Prius was essentially only available new. So I had to shell out more up front, thus not really saving money.

But when I talk to other people, most of them don't get the environmental part (most of my family/friends are not especially green or concerned about our foreign debt spent on oil). Plus, since it's the Prius they assume I'm a tree-hugging whacko anyway. So I always start off with the money savings, and if they're receptive, maybe I'll add in a comment about reducing pollution or not keeping our economy dependent on OPEC.

There's still some people talking about battery life, but basically ever since gas went over $3/gallon & stayed there, it's made it a lot easier for me to explain my decision. I just say I get 49 mpg lifetime average and that's usually enough right there, I don't need to say anything else. (I'm not particularly talkative in real life).