1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Saw a used 2011 without a display screen....

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by anitavespa, Jul 7, 2015.

1. anitavespa

anitavespa New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm looking at a2011 Prius HB, but I see in the photos that there isn't a display screen. I've never seen a Prius without a touch screen. It also says the sound system is a CD/MP3 player, but doesn't specify an aux or USB port. Does anyone have any experience here? I'm reluctant even to go see this vehicle because it seems to lack the features I love about my '04 Prius. If you've driven one of these cars, do you miss the touch screen?

Thanks!

2. breakfast

breakfast Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    All 2012 and later liftbacks (after the mid cycle refresh) have a touch screen - even the base Two model. Perhaps you could restrict your search to 2012 and later if you are looking at lower trim level models.

3. PeterHaas

PeterHaas Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    True about the late 2011 refresh, in anticipation of the 2012 model year.

Ones may have been made for other markets, but all for this market were Twos or higher.

The 2012 Two does indeed have a touch screen.

The extra functionality, such as navigation or satellite radio adapter, is added onto the basic touch screen radio's underneath, and then wired into the radio itself by adapter-to-radio cables on the rear, which is why the basic touch screen radio has so very many cable connectors on its rear, most of which go unused unless higher trim functions are present (or are added).

4. PeterHaas

PeterHaas Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Such a car (2012 Two Liftback) also has a shelf underneath the center console with a cigarette lighter which is perfect for a Garmin or competitive GPS unit.

Such a car also has a cubby within the rear of the center console (behind the cup holder) which has a totally enclosed area with a USB port.

Part of the 2012 refresh was to add USB and Bluetooth to all cars, and that is a perfect place to store your iPhone on a power/charger cable, completely out of harm's way.

My iPhone "paired" with the car's Bluetooth immediately, and I have been using the iPhone (and the Garmin) with great ease ever since.

A much better arrangement than my 2014 c One where the power connections are out in the open, for all to see, and there is no convenient storage area which is unobtrusive, yet permits continuous connection of those devices.

#4 PeterHaas, Jul 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

Our 2010 dash looks like this:

Capture.JPG

From my perspective, even that's too advanced. I'd much prefer tactile knobs, sliders and switches: do not think it's progress, having to take your eyes off the road (think windy roads, night, raining), focus on a small touch screen, navigate menus.

fuzzy1 and lar.smith42 like this.
  6. PeterHaas

PeterHaas Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That would be true up to and including 2011.

Note that the bezel size is identical to any of the "intelligent" radios which were supplied starting 2012, whether radio/Bluetooth only, or radio/navigation or radio/satellite radio.

The functional "guts" of the display are at the very top, behind the bezel.

All the extra functionality is screwed to the underside of the "guts" and are plugged into the display unit from the rear.

It is really the display unit which is doing the "heavy lifting" in these models.

7. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The lower trims in the Gen 3 also don't have the 3 door SKS. The backup camera was bundled with the nav package. If you want everything or most of the features from the Gen2 you have to buy a higher option package and/or a newer car.

8. breakfast

breakfast Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    To its credit, the touch tracer allows for changing volume, channels, etc. from the steering wheel. The touch screen does also come with a large menu of voice commands accessible from the "voice" button on the steering wheel - I can say "tune fm 95.7" for example, or "show map", or "favorite home (to navigate home)", or "destination 103 South Oak Street, Normal Illinois (to navigate to Normal)", or "call Martha Stewart cell" (which would work if I had her in my phone contacts - and maybe i do ;) - but wouldn't work to reach her while she was in jail :D )

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Our's is Canadian Touring model, sort of like 2010 US V (aka 5). Has 3 door sks, and back up camera (displays in rear view mirror). It's doable, but looks like all the manufacturers are in love with touch screens now. How this differs from using a cell phone is getting pretty blurred. :(

10. PosauneGuy

PosauneGuy Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The 2011 sound system (non-touchscreen) has an AUX input, but no USB input.

11. Tim Bender

Tim Bender Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a 2011 Two w/o touch screen. As others have noted, there is an standard 3.5mm aux input within the center armrest console along with a standard 12v source. Aside from navigation, most of the HSI features that you are familiar with from your 2nd gen Prius are available in the main dash display - instant MPG, avg MPG, the bar chart that shows MPG over the past 15 or 30 minutes, and more.

The ONLY thing I regret not having is the backup camera. This car has such huge blind spots; I always say a prayer before backing up. We just bought a 2015 Outback that came standard with a backup camera - I was so relieved that we would have this feature but the visibility on that car is so good that I don't even use it.

[​IMG]