1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Scan gauge 2 and prius Trans FLuid temp

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by dangarlepp, May 5, 2016.

1. dangarlepp

dangarlepp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I guess the prius (any prius) has no Trans fluid temp sensor. I tried all 3 general Trans fluid temp codes for Toyota and none work. Anyone have any info on this.
    Thanks
    Dan
    2012 Prius c
    2016 Prius v

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  3. dangarlepp

dangarlepp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the reply, I have been watching those temps. They get pretty high, into the 200 + degrees. At that temp the trans fluid would break down quick.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Are you grill blocking by any chance? Just curious. Yeah, maybe tri-yearly transaxle fluid changes warranted, regardless of distance. Fairly cheap and easy.

5. dangarlepp

dangarlepp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    No grill blocking, I live in Florida. I had the scan gauge in my Prius c when I was monitoring the MG1 MG2 temps, when I saw temps at 200 degrees I wasn't sure if that meant the trans fluid was 200. I keep an eye on trans fluid temp because I ruined a regular auto trans by letting the fluid get to hot. Didn't realize, I was delivering mail, the slow stop and go heats up the trans fluid, the fluid turned black and killed the trans in a 1996 corolla wagon. I'm due to change the fluid soon in the C. Thanks for your help.
    Dan

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    In that sense, you do not have an automatic transmission, you have a one speed manual with no clutch.
    A 'normal' automatic has a torque converter which allows slippage between wheel speeds and engine speeds, all that slippage becomes heat. In the Prius transaxle nothing slips*. so there is MUCH less heat from friction when accelerating. Its heat is from the motor/generators, not friction.

I found this accurate and hilarious. What it calls a fluid coupling we now call a torque converter

None of this happens in a Prius.

*Computers rotate two electric motors and the gas engine at different speeds to smoothly drive at any speed.

7. dangarlepp

dangarlepp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Cool OLD video.
    It still bothers me that the MG1 and MG2 temps are so high (210 to 215F).
    So to ease my mind, your telling me these high temps are OK right?
    If you guys have a chance, check your MG1 and MG2 temps and let me know what you see.
    Thanks