1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ScanGaugeII (rev 4.05) Question

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by jdcollins5, Oct 17, 2011.

1. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just had the front brake rattle TSB performed on my car last week at the dealer. I am not sure if this TSB would require the use of the Techstream or not.

When I returned home I did the Scan check for any remaining codes. When first pressing Scan it returned No Stored Codes and Ready. When I pressed More, at first it returned No Pend Codes as it did before but then jumped to 2 Pend Codes and then began to increase by 2 codes all of the way up to FF Pend Codes and then jumped back to 0. The only way to stop the counting was to jump out of the Scan function.

Has anyone else seen this? I sent an email to Linear Logic and have not heard back yet but wanted to know if anyone else has seen this before.

2. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    That's pretty bizarre. Try unplugging and reattaching the cable at the ScanGage itself. Hopefully LL can help. It could be a bad cable or connector.

I don't know if you've customized your SG but you could reset it to defaults. That might remove any customizations you've added though.

Do you know anyone else with a SGII that you could test on your Prius to see if they get the same results? That would narrow it down to the car or SG.

3. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    I've seen this problem in my ScanGauge as well. A reboot of the ScanGauge usually fixes it. It seems to be related to one or more of the xGauges misbehaving.

JeffD

4. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No, I do not know of anyone close by with a ScanGauge to test. I have quite a few custom XGauges programmed from the spreadsheet on PC. I will wait and see what LL comes up before deleting XGauges and going back to defaults.

Thanks

LL said this is the first they have heard of this :eek: but said to do what you suggested above. Unplug the ScanGauge overnight and try it again in the morning. Same results this morning. I will respond back to LL that this did not work and see what they come back with.

It is not bothering me right now but I would like to know that it is going to work correctly in the event that I do have DTC thrown.

Thanks.

5. Mark57

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Can you try your SG in a different car and see if it does the same thing? If it's the SG, I'd tend to think it would react the same way during a code scan on any car.

I have a ton of custom XGauges on mine too. I'd not want to redo them either.

I'm surprised some l33t hax0r hasn't connected up their Linux box and figured out how to dump and upload the XGuage info.

6. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Good point. I could try it on my wife's Honda Accord and see if it does the same thing.

I agree with dumping and uploading the XGauge info so you do not lose it.

7. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This afternoon I tried starting the engine to get the SGII to come on and then unplugged and replugged the connector to get it to reboot as jdenenberg suggested. No change.

Then I tried to reset the default settings. This did the trick. I had to do this before when I would modify XGauges and get extra digits and unneeded characters.

The only negative is that I lose my trip and mpg info and have to start over with the tank refills.

I passed this on to Leah O'Campo with LL.

Thanks for the suggestion.

8. Mark57

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm glad you resolved it without having to send it back to LL.

1 person likes this.
  9. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I sent LL an email response letting them know that the reboot did not work but the default reset did. I also asked them questions about how the miles and mpg were calculated on the SGII. This is their response:

Since unplugging the ScanGauge didn’t seem to fix it – I’m going to pass this bug up to the main developer to see what he thinks. I’ll let you know what I hear back from him.

With regard to calculating the miles and MPG, the miles is simply calculated by monitoring the speed value reported by the ECU and keeping a rolling total of distance driven based on your vehicles speed. The MPG is somewhat of a trade secret. We gather an extensive amount of sensor data, which we then input into our MPG algorithm. I wish I could be more specific as to how we calculate it, but it’s something I’m not at liberty to share. I can tell you that the MPG calculation that the Prius uses is almost certainly different from ours. Often times people will see the the ScanGauge and their Prius are reading slightly different MPG’s. Sometimes the ScanGauge is more accurate, and other times the Prius MPG display is more accurate. If you perform the fill-up procedure consistently the ScanGauge tends to be the more accurate of the two. I know someone that did a multi-year recording of their MPG using both the ScanGauge and his Prius display, and more times than not the ScanGauge was the closest to his hand calculations.

1 person likes this.