1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ScangaugeII vs CAN-View on GIII

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Charles Peterson, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Charles Peterson

Charles Peterson Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    (Oops, I meant GII or whatever you call 2004-2009). I'm thinking about getting one of these now that I've had a couple of breakdowns on my 2006#7 with 78,000 miles. There's lotsa talk but I'm finding it hard to get answers on these two questions

1) Does the latest set of ScanGaugeII tools for GII finally include inverter temp, as long provided by Can-View ? This seems like one of the key system health indications now.

2) Does Can-View allow you to read through saved diagnostic codes as ScanGaugeII does?

3) Is is easy to stay out of trouble with Can-View? I don't want to do anything that might compromise my factory and Platinum extended warranties at this point. I've got no greater ambition than running my 06 to 155,000 miles. I used to figure that would be a piece of cake, not so much any more, particularly in 109 degree heat. I used to think the battery was the biggest potential risk, and I knew those were pretty easily obtainable in inexpensive ways, now it's clear the biggest risk is the inverter, and overtemp indications are relatively lacking.

2. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Yes people reported that SGII with latest firmware can be programed to read inverter temps.

Why worry so much if you have Platinum warranty already?

Just have the inverter coolant pump recall done at the dealer and periodically assure yourself that the pump is working properly by observing that there is healthy fluid motion in the reservoir in IG ON or READY mode.

Not sure about either CAN-View or SGII can read all the codes. Most readers don't read Toyota special codes.

If you are really interested in data viewing/logging check out Torque or my PriiDash(TM) project.

Good luck!