1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Scanner survey

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Mar 21, 2010.

1. jk450

jk450 New Member

Not really, and certainly not much if at all during the aforementioned cold start and warmup conditions.

Correlation is not causation. Besides, MG2 can certainly get hotter than MG1.

Most of MG1's heat, as measured by its temperature sensor, is produced by MG1 itself.

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'd like to suggest recording the charging heat-pump:

• record battery temperature and current
    • force charge: hold brake and floor accelerator until engine stops
    The resulting graph will show the exothermic action of charging the battery. This is what happens every time the car descends a tall hill. Then imagine driving through hill country with every descent heating the battery and not seeing a corresponding decrease on the next hill assent. This is heat-pumping the battery.

The only mitigation I know of is to use "B" on hill descents to minimize over charging the traction battery. It is not perfect but rather less bad.

Bob Wilson

3. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You know the Prius has a unique demographic when a thread talks about scanners for their vehicle and everybody knows it's not about police scanners.

1 person likes this.
  4. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Does it generate a single .csv file with all data in the one file?

The Graham scanner uses a TAB delimited output with each data field offset by the number of TABs needed for alignment. I use a Perl program to normalize the data for loading into excel. Sounds like I'll have to do the same with this data. It would be nice if the .csv file has any naming convention to identify what data it contains or when it was captured.

One thing I don't like about the Graham data is there are no data identifiers in the data file. You have to manually add them when you create the excel spreadsheet.

I wonder if we can change the sampling interval per data type? For example, temperature values tend to change slowly compared to traction battery current or MG1 torque.

According to the tracking data, my Autoenginuity left Montgomery on Friday so I should get it Monday. You've certainly stroked my enthusiasm for this tool. I can hardly wait to see what it can pick up from our ZVW30.

Bob Wilson

5. w2co

w2co Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes the .csv file contains all parameters you picked for that record session, and it is comma delimited, (I think it could be space or tab as well) and it does have in the top line all data field names, but they don't really line up with the columns. I just counted across until say #10 or #11 field for instance. One can get rather fancy with this kind of data and the right tools. I hope you get yours today Bob, then you can see what I'm up against.. Not that it's bad, but it's rather overwhelming to me, especially since I don't have excel here. Got to get that or OO to do this correctly I guess.

6. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Autoenginuity arrived this afternoon. Boy will I be happy to go home tonight!

I took it out with my wife's ZVW30 and recorded an 8 mile loop. It treats the 2010 Prius as a generic OBD-II vehicle but the data recording and standard options look to be very useful for some of my energy studies:
    [​IMG]

Now to start mapping out the NHW11 functions and inducing some well defined errors. This will be fun.

Bob Wilson

7. w2co

w2co Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So on the log in screen, at the bottom "interface field", it has "generic powertrain" as the default selection. Try selecting another item in this field, they may have hvecu or something there already. Glad you got it and have fun! Tom

8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Hi Tom,

I started with the 2003 today and even submitted my first trouble report and got this reply:
    I pointed out the Graham miniscanner did but this doesn't seem to be a big impediment to what I want to see. All in all, this is a great tool.

We are going to have a lot of fun!!

Bob Wilson

9. w2co

w2co Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bob,
    Yes you can only look at one controller at a time, but that doesn't stop me at all.
    Now some things I have found are during log in for GEN1 use: OBDII and ISO-9141-2 and at the bottom of that screen select a different controller than the default "generic powertrain". Also make sure you select the correct year of vehicle. I think they are different.

On GENII use: OBDII and select CAN then again at the bottom of that screen select which controller you wish to see, and the correct year. There's a lot more things to monitor on the GENII of course, but on GEN1 it has all the important stuff even though that is non-CAN. Can't wait to see what you come up with there. Tom

10. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Here is the screen showing the list of ECUs that this scanner found:
    [​IMG]
    I was surprised to find the ABS and EMPS codes. I haven't cleared them but will be going back to see what sort of date or timestamp might be available. This really is a nice, vehicle wide tool ... still looking and learning.

Bob Wilson

11. w2co

w2co Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does the C1215 and C1241 refer to the 12V batt.?
    And the C0210 and C1542 are probably related, but I would check on that C1202.
    Did you find any date stamps anywhere? I don't know as I have no DTC's logged yet.

12. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I haven't looked at those code, yet. I'm keeping them in reserve as there is one more scanner I want to test ... the OBD connector and two switches.

The maintenance manual shows a simple OBD jumper is supposed to cause the codes to 'flash'. It is also claimed that we can clear the codes too. If so, this could be a very affordable, >$10, code reader technique. We won't get quantitative values but rather just flashing the codes. That may be enough for many DIY.

Bob Wilson

13. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Bob,

This is true only for those DTC that are listed in the repair manual with a two digit number adjacent to the five character DTC.

14. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Interesting. Is there a table of what those code are?

I first stumbled across this approach a couple of weeks ago when I was looking up one of the diagnostic techniques. Regardless, I plan to test it with my NHW11 once the connector arrives. We'll see what can be found. <grins>

I'll be inducing a number of faults in my NHW11 by jumpering the temperature thermistor lines to a low resistance. This will give a false "over temperature" condition. Then I'll be able to compare the codes from:

• connector and push buttons
    • Graham miniscanner
    • Auto Enginuity
    Bob Wilson

15. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Bob,

I no longer have the repair manuals for my 2001, but I recall that they are listed in the DTC chart. The 2G repair manual shows two-digit codes for the skid control ECU and the SRS ECU.

Examples:

C0200/31 Right Front Speed Sensor Circuit
    (look at the Brake Control, ABS, or VSC lights for blinks, depending upon which system is generating error codes.)

B1000/31 Airbag ECU Assembly Malfunction
    (look at the SRS Warning Light to count the blinks)

However if you have a problem with any other ECU then you'll need the Toyota diagnostic laptop (or functional equivalent such as the Autoenginuity software you acquired) to retrieve the codes.

16. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Ahhh, I see it now! Thank you!

So what we have are:

• operator displays and symptoms - the usual posting we see here and other forums.
    • OBD connector and two switches - read out two-digit codes flashed on operator display lights. Some assembly required and a table of codes.
    • retail OBD scanners - typically just the vehicle or engine ECU codes and engine related live data points.
    • Graham scanner - covers HV, engine and battery ECU codes as well as 50+ live data points.
    • Auto Enginuity - covers all ECUs except the CCS, for the primary codes (haven't checked subcodes, yet) and live data points (some questions here.)
    • Toyota scanner - everything but not commercially available
    About the Auto Enginuity scanner, I'm still learning how to configure it. It looks like the 'auto detect' function of the OBD interface can induce codes and false failure indications. Also, some of the live HV ECU values don't look right, MG1 and MG2 torque. This doesn't surprise me but I just need to document the problems and turn it over to the vendor. But the battery information is awesome.

I ran a forced charge last night and saw the five temperature probes climb from 95F to 100F in a couple of minutes. This is the 'heat pump' effect I'd seen before.

Bob Wilson

17. w2co

w2co Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bob,
    I forgot to mention that the auto detect will cause a false PS error on the GEN1's. Similar to a scanguage that has learned CAN already. However It works good on the GEN2 , so when connecting to the GEN1 just have it already set to OBDII and ISO-9141-2 before plugging it in and everything's fine.

18. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I 'rediscovered' this and solved it by disabling "autoconnect." This lets me check the discovery process before enabling it. I also suspect this may have falsely set codes on the ABS but this needs more investigation.

Bob Wilson

19. w2co

w2co Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Bob,
    I did it "auto connect" on the 03' a few times before I figured it out, got the error screens, but there were no codes stored afterwards. Whew!
    Tom

20. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

I'm getting a handle on the data record functions:
    [​IMG]

This is my typical commute profile with our 2003 Prius:

• ~2-5 minutes - initial warm-up when the goal is to minimize fuel burn until the car can go into S4, full hybrid mode.
    • ~10-15 minutes - normal commuting, trying to keep either 38 mph range or cruise at 55+ mph.
    • ~2-3 minutes - final cruise to the house using as much EV mode as possible to use the stored traction battery energy to reach home.
    I'm finding the reported MG1 torque does not look right suggesting there may be a data conversion problem. However, there is a "Generator Current W (A)" value not seen before that reports a number that appears to correlate with ICE power. This may provide a short-cut for ICE BSFC charting.

By design, Auto Enginuity (AE) tries to report data values by ECU. However, this makes it difficult to get the fuel consumption needed for a proper BSFC chart. But ICE rpm is reported for all controllers and this may provide the correlation function needed to make a usable BSFC chart.

Like the Graham miniscanner, the data capture rate is probably limited by the slow-speed OBD bus. However, by limiting capture to just the values of interest, we can sample more rapidly and hopefully, resolve some of the race-condition, sampling error challenges.

There are a series of "Info 1-5" data fields that are not well described. We know from the Graham scanner that sometimes more than one data field can be reports in a single query, mitigating some of the time delay problems from sampling separate fields.

For those interested, I don't see a way to read out the actual OBD Tx and Rx frames and from the package. Regardless, I'm still learning 'where the knobs are' and trying to make it run in a more predictable manner. For example, one menu option seems to cause the package to crash but I haven't turned it in, yet.

Bob Wilson