1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Scheduled Maintenance for a 2005 Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by allmyfriends77, Aug 4, 2008.

1. allmyfriends77

allmyfriends77 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ok, I've heard all sorts of different scheduled mileages for maintenance. I am currently looking at my paperwork from the last "scheduled" maintenance and that was at 14,762 miles. "Per Toyota Maintenance Requirements" 15/45/75/105K. I am at 49,000 some miles right now and the guy at the Toyota dealership tells me my next maintenance isn't until 60k for my 2005 Prius.

Now I am confused. I need help. I don't want to spend another $177.69 on a mileage maintenance that I don't need. Did I miss the 45k or is it 60k? What are you guys doing about this? i want to make sure my warranty is in check. Thanks in advance.

2. allmyfriends77

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I got my lazy nice person off my seat and went out to my car to look at the maintenance schedule. Sure enough 60k is the next full service that includes changing the cabin air filter and some other things. Everything else like 45k or 50k was basically just oil changes and checking air pressure and some other things. They were just checks, not replacing.

My biggest thing right now is trying to find tires for this car. I need two new front tires, the backs are fine. I'm finding $89 for the Goodyear Integrity tires at my local tire place. The dealership will match that price, which came to $220.72 for 2 tires installed. Seems like a lot of money for installation, geez.

I'm still stuck on the inflation thing and I know the dealership will do it at 35/33psi, but I am thinking about doing 42/40psi like everyone else on here seems to be doing. I'm curious but concerned.

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    $178 was a lot for 15K service. Next time take the Scheduled Maintenance Guide with you, show the correct page to the service writer, and tell them to do exactly what is shown there, no more and no less. (You can save even more money by buying cabin and engine air filters at a convenient dealer's parts desk and installing them yourself. They are not difficult.)

Any tire can safely be pressurized up to the maximum shown on the sidewall, but a pressure higher than that recommended by the *car* maker will affect handling and ride comfort. Try it and see. It's certainly easy enough to reduce the pressure if you don't like it.

$220 installed is not out of line. The bill at the tire place would grow a lot of extras too on top of 2 x $89. Whoever does it make certain that they use adhesive weights (the same kind Toyota used at the factory), so that they don't mess up your rims with unsightly hammer-on weights.

If you are only going to buy two new tires, put the new tires on the rear and move the current rear wheels to the front. This may give the tire guy a fit, but it is safer in steering emergencies to have the better tires on the rear of the car.

4. allmyfriends77

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    thanks for that advice on moving the tires from the back to the front, then putting the new tires on the back. I believe that's what they did last time.

According to my service slip here this is what was done at 15K:

Perform 15k Maintenance Per Toyota Maintenance Requirements
    Changed Engine Oil & Filter. Replaced Drain Plug Gasket
    Rotated Tires
    Inspected the Front and Rear Brakes
    Cleaned and Adjusted Rear Brakes as Needed
    Replace A/C Cabin Air Filter and Clean Vent System of Debris
    Computer Spin Balance 4 Wheels and Tires
    Inspect Steering Linkages
    Inspected Drive Shaft Boots and Joints
    Inspected Drive Belts and Hoses
    Replaced Engine Air Filter and Cleaned Housing Box
    Inspected Drive Train Vehicle Fluid Levels and Topped off
    Checked and Filled Washer Fluid
    Checked and Set Tire Pressure and Measured Tread Depth
    Inspected Positive Crankcase Vent. System
    Reset Service/Maintenance Reminder Light
    Washed and Vacuumed Vehicle

Oil Filter = $4.95
    Toyota Air Filter = $18.95
    Toyota Air Filer = $21.00
    Plug Gasket = $1.00

Parts Total = $45.90
    Labor Total = $177.69

30k Maintenance was basically a 27 Point Inspection with Oil Change and Air Filter change. The A/C Cabin Filter did not need changing after 15k miles it looked like according to my slip here.

5. richard schumacher

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yah, that looks like a dealer's service package. Unless you think it was worth the money next time Just Say No. It's hard to see the value of re-balancing the wheels except when a weight is lost, or paying them $100 per hour to clean the car. At least they didn't charge you for lubricating all the zerk fittings :_> For comparison in 51 months/31,000 miles I've spent a total of $240 on scheduled maintenance.

6. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how often do you get the oil changed?

7. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have been changing oil / filter religeously every 5000 miles. Use Walmarts Standard cheapest oil and thier oil filter. For air cleaner and air conditioner filter I buy a large sheet for .50. It generally makes 3 to 4 filters. Both filters doing a superb job as no dust or contaminents get past the filter. Have about 65000 now on the car now and absolutely no mechanical/Electrical problems at all. That is aside from first three month battle with 12 VDC Battery ( which was replaced, in Warranty ) Have moved tire pressures up from 40 to 50 to 55 and now at 60LBS! Am slowly approaching 70 lbs. Rolling resistance excellent. Traction seems good. Mpg is improving to 60 plus on trips. Tire wear is peculiar. Center tread is 1-2 mm more than outer tread. Perhaps this is a holdover from when I was maintaining 42/38. I am overall very satisfied with the Prius. MUCH better than my 84 Camry. Sorry I drifted off topic. Andy

8. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    next time we head through nekoosa we'll wave at ya. :) didn't see too many prius in central wi last time we were up there.

9. vocuri

vocuri New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have over 100,000 miles on my 2005 Prius without any maintenance except for regular oil changes. Dealer wants $368.oo for Transmission and cooland change. What to do.

Advise is greatly appreciated.

10. richard schumacher

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's time, and the price isn't out of line. Consult the Scheduled Maintenance Guide and don't let the dealer do any more than is called for.