1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Screen brightness goes up & down, have to turn it off at night

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PriOliver, Sep 11, 2014.

1. PriOliver

PriOliver New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm having to turn off the screen when I drive at night to avoid the distraction of it weirdly and endlessly jumping up and down in brightness. It happens when I turn down the brightness of the dashboard instrument cluster to an intermediate level. With the instruments at max, the screen brightness is constant. With the instruments turned off completely, then too the screen is fine. But neither of those settings is safe at night. I don't want to drive without a speedometer, and I don't want to drive with the instruments brightly reflecting in the windshield. Any of you know what's the cause and/or fix of this thing with the screen? I'd love to know! I suppose I'll be having to pay the dealer or somebody to fix it, but I'd rather not go in clueless--and I suppose being clueless, it could be something simple I'm just overlooking. Thanks for any thoughts. BTW, this is re: our 2008 Prius, options package 4

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There is an extended warranty out on the combination meter, when it goes out intermittently . If you feel it has gone out before, they'll replace it free of charge....just by you telling them that.

3. PriOliver

PriOliver New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Interesting about that warranty. Superficially it seems to be about something different, but my car's problem clearly has _something_ to do with combo meter, and although I didn't mention it, the combo meter might be weird in another way too: when I turn the knob to adjust the brightness, it doesn't happen gradually, because mostly as I turn it nothing happens, until at a certain point it jumps over just a few hairs of a turn, so it's impossible to adjust it exactly to an in-between brightness. Anyway, I guess I should find a mechanic to tell me if it's related to the warranty issue.

Does anybody else have a theory?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds like a bad potentiometer, which probably isn't covered.

PriOliver likes this.
  5. PriOliver

PriOliver New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Are you talking about the screen brightness, instrument brightness control or both? I'm thinking most of this stuff is integrated circuits. Are there pots in there as individual elements?

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm thinking instrument brightness, it's a thumbwheel?

7. PriOliver

PriOliver New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, a thumbwheel...according to the manual. We just bought the car and my wife is driving it. I don't think I've played with it myself yet.

8. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    PriOliver likes this.
  9. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  10. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
  11. PriOliver

PriOliver New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks so much! I wonder if fixing the pot/rheostat is likely to stop the slow periodic oscillation of the display screen bias. I suppose it might. How confident are you that a broken one of these is the cause of my thumbwheel weirdness? I'm guessing it's something you've seen before...?

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i didn't think anything affected the mfd brightness except headlites?

13. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm almost 100% certain that replacing the illumination rheostat (thumb wheel) switch will fix your problem.

The symptoms you describe are from the contacts in the faulty switch making intermittent/poor contact, especially in the midrange of the thumb wheel setting. That's why it works at the extreme settings, full bright, or off.

SCH-I535

PriOliver likes this.
  14. PriOliver

PriOliver New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You mean in mfds normally, or do you mean you thought that's what I was describing about my own mfd? I don't know if the headlights have anything to do with it. What I observe is that I dim the speedometer and as long as it's dim the mfd will jump back and forth in brightness--every 10-30 seconds or so (I haven't checked the interval or if it's strictly periodic). It's dark out when I've done this, so I suppose the headlights are on.

15. PriOliver

PriOliver New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Awesome, xliderider! Thanks again!

16. PriOliver

PriOliver New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've never bought a part off eBay or done much in the way of repairs. I wonder if I could get that rheostat a lot cheaper at a Pick-n-Pull type (DIY salvage) place. Then I could get a little practice accessing the thing on a junker before taking a hammer to our new car.

17. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Accessing the switch is really easy. Take a look at the directions for the oem foglight installation here:

2010 Prius OEM-quality Fog Light Kit Now Available! | PriusChat

Just look at the installation directions in the first post in the thread. Specifically, the part about installing the foglight switch in the dashboard, which is right next to the rheostat dimmer switch.

SCH-I535

PriOliver likes this.
  18. PriOliver

PriOliver New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    IV