1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Screws stripped on rubber piece of rear hatch handle,how do I remove them?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ski.dive, Aug 25, 2016.

1. ski.dive

ski.dive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The 2 screws got stripped on the rubber piece of rear hatch handle,I can not get them off.
    How do I remove them now?

+++What size are these 2 Phillips head screws?
    I will need to replace them once I get them off!!!

2. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring

You may need to use an "Easy Out". This is a screw-like device that is reverse threaded. To use, drill a starter hole in the center of the screw head, insert the Easy Out, and turn to unscrew. The threads on the easy out will dig deeper into the screw and allow you to remove it.

As to the size of the screw, you may need to ask a dealer for the correct screws to re-assemble.

3. Vysse

Vysse Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not to hijack this thread but would this work for a bolt that has broken as well? The bolt for a d hook in the back of my Prius broke off.

4. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Easy Outs are available in a variety of sizes and at most hardware or auto part stores. I had a set of 6 sizes for many years.

5. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I bought an Ontel Speed Out screw extractor from Home Depot in March to fix stripped screws in the hatch latch thing. The tool gets a mixed bag of reviews. It worked great for me and I have been using various makes/models of screw extractors for more than 30 years. I paid $19.99 in March. It is now $9.99

One caution -- READ the instructions carefully -- if you try this thing. It is a bit different than others I have used.
    Here is my review from that purchase:

March 30, 2016
    5.0 out of 5
    [​IMG]
    Quality
    [​IMG]
    Value
    [​IMG]
    Recommended Product
    Doing a car repair, I noted online that nearly everyone had the same two screws strip out on them and everyone was having the same hassle removing the stripped screws.
    They were metric -- M4 10mm length.
    I saw the kit, bought it, took out the instruction sheet where it is hidden under the lid of the box, read the instructions several times and still started out with the wrong side of bit (my error).
    Quickly corrected my error (flipped bit over) and within 10 seconds the screw spun out -- I did not need to flip to the extractor side.
    Second screw -- same story. Worked for me and saved me $260 bucks.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What stripped, the recess in the screw head, or the threads in the piece it screws into? I'm guessing the former.

7. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In my case the actual screw head (the phillips part) stripped out. All I did was line up the Speed Out tool with the messed up phillips "cross-hatch" and the Speed out grabbed hold and spun out the screw. I was amazed. No drilling out the center of the screw, etc.

BTW, the reason I bought the new extractor was the two in my tool box were made for much larger jobs, like starter/generator bolts.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Even better.

9. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Easyout would be the answer.

You could try a dermal tool to make a horizontal line in the screw head in which a straight edge screwdriver may fit.
    If that fails then Easyout.

As for size...take the old one to Home Depot or like and match it up or order new parts at Toyota.

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm going to look that up, interesting. Thanks.

11. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You know, I have tried cutting a new line in screw heads at least a half-dozen times and never worked for me.

Of course, I do not have a Dremel and always tried to use a file. I think I probably stopped too soon to be effective, using a half-round file in a confined space is never fun.

12. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good point! If the latter (i.e. the threads in the piece into which it screws) one trick I learned from my old Dad (Master-Joiner) I've used in the past is to insert a sliver of wood (toothpick, matchstick, trimmed-down popsicle stick) into the stripped hole before inserting new screw. For more security, the wood-sliver may be soaked in glue (wood-glue, Gorilla-glue, Epoxy) to make it even stronger! - hope this helps - Wil :)

13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Here's a demo:

Kirk, does it work? Speed Out Damaged Screw Extractor | FOX31 Denver

My take: it's good for screws, because unlike the typical extractor kit, it includes drill bits housed in a screwdriver, holding the drill bit steady.

Stripped screws are symptomatic of the ubiquitous power driver's, too. Not a problem doing it by hand, but all the pros use the power drivers.