1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

security system

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Beachbummm, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I thought when the car is running and you walk away with the key fob it will shut down after a distance, I know the yellow light flashes, I left my Prius running and a friend decided to take it for a ride without me, I still had the smart key... 10 mins later he pulls back into the driveway and I was expecting a call saying the car shut down.. I assume the smart key is needed to restart the car but if its running they can drive it away and keep going, its not anti theft system I thought it was..

2. Squirt

Squirt Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This is the case for most/many keyless systems. I've made this mistake with rental cars and valet parking more times than I can count. They get the car parked before they realize there's no key fob to lock it.

I believe it's sort of a safety feature. Can you imagine the key fob battery giving out while underway on the highway, so it loses contact with the car? If the car were to simply shut down at some point, I think it would be a big problem.

3. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Squirt has it correct. All SKS's work this way for safety reasons. The car never automatically shuts down. It tells you when the key is no longer recognized and it is up to you to know why. If you leave it READY, it will remain READY until all petrol is burned up and the HV battery is drained to a couple of percent.