1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Seeking a Class Action Lawsuit Lawyer

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Driver-72, Feb 5, 2007.

1. johnnymg

johnnymg New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Driver-72 @ Feb 5 2007, 06:45 PM) [snapback]385851[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for this classic post! Gave me a good chuckle this morning. :lol:

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Driver-72 @ Feb 5 2007, 10:45 PM) [snapback]385851[/snapback]</div>
    Everybody wants to sue, and everybody wants to complain about the GD lawyers. Brother. How do you quantify your damages, because what self respecting (oxymoron :lol: ) attorny is going to shoulder a case with non-quantifyable damages ? Here's a compromise for you ... so you "DON'T WANT THIS CAR" ??? Fine! I'll trade you strait across for our '04 that has your precious stickers (with 50K plus miles) ... after all ~ you SAY you want the stickers. Put up, or ....

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Driver-72 @ Feb 5 2007, 10:30 PM) [snapback]385899[/snapback]</div>
    Welcome to our world.

Forums like this came about due to the "should have" problems with certain governmental policies. The EPA estimates are a disaster, horribly misleading. Yet, the best those concerned could get changed after years of complaints was some minor calculation revisions with known shortcomings.

Your HOV expectations were set way too high, and you did far too little research considering how much money was at stake. It was a risk, not a guarantee. You lost. So now you want to sue. That's sad. But then again, buying a vehicle only for the sake of HOV privledges that will expire in a few years was something difficult to justify anyway.

4. halpo25

halpo25 New Member

I'd like to add a voice of support to Driver-72.

I too purchased a Prius in January and while I have not yet heard anything from DMV, it sure feels like I am one of the 700 who are not going to get a carpool stickers.

Just to be clear, I bought the car because it seems like a great commute car, uses less gas, and yes I'll do may part to save the world. I've had the car for 3 weeks and absolutely love it - sticker or not.

I understand Driver-72's frustration - the total lack of good information from DMV, the seeming randomness of the rules, and the serendipity of events out of one's control like how quickly your dealer got you plates. Perhaps the law was written poorly to give a set number of stickers rather than a date cutoff which would have been more equitable.

I wonder how DMV is actually calculating the number of stickers issued. I've read so many posts about duplicate applications, applications granted without license plates, etc etc. I am sure that there is "fluff" in the number and it would be easy for DMV just to issue stickers to those that applied by XXX date.

I also think it is easy to speak from the "moral high ground" when you are in possession of stickers that others want (whether you are using them or not). So, let us unfortunate Prius owners lick our wounds and work with the legislature to get new rules on the books.

5. Joe Bernard

Joe Bernard New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(halpo25 @ Feb 6 2007, 11:40 AM) [snapback]386078[/snapback]</div>
    There seems to be a lot of support in CA. for extending the HOV sticker program. I don't think we've seen the last of them for Prius owners.

6. allargon

allargon Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The above doesn't surprise me at all. My salesman here in TX told me I could use my Prius in the carpool lane. I laughed because I knew the cops in Houston and Dallas would shake their heads and say, "This ain't CA." I still bought the car. However, I told him not to tell that BS to anyone else.

The good news is that there is a "small" tax credit left. Moreover, insurance rates are still drastic lower for the Prius than most other cars. (I was shocked how my premium only went up $13/month from a 1994 Grand Am to a 2007 Prius!)

7. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Driver-72 @ Feb 5 2007, 11:30 PM) [snapback]385899[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry but I'm not feeling your pain.

You're not getting screwed.

You knew the program was coming to its end, yet you chose to spend all that money on the car with nothing IN WRITING from any representative of the state (or the dealer for that matter) as to the status of the program?

Even Judge Wapner would throw your case out of court.

BTW, the 'State' you're holding responsible is actually your friends and neighbors, and everybody else who lives here...including me. Honestly, I don't feel likeI should have to pay restitution to you just 'cause your timing was off, and you neglected to get any sort of non-verbal confirmation of the status of this program.

And remember, too, that the State doesn't stand to profit from any of this.

8. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(livelychick @ Feb 6 2007, 09:29 AM) [snapback]386001[/snapback]</div>
    Maybe we just don't understand? Perhaps he wants the lawyer to sit in the passenger seat so he can qualify for the HOV lane the original way? It'd be cheaper to grab a "will work for food" guy, but then I don't have high class tastes like someone who doesn't see any other value to a Prius.

- Tom

9. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If it's stickers we lack, you must buy our cars back!

10. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom_06 @ Feb 6 2007, 02:42 PM) [snapback]386208[/snapback]</div>
    :p :D :p :D :lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(koa @ Feb 6 2007, 03:00 PM) [snapback]386221[/snapback]</div>
    Johnnie Cochrane's rolling over in his grave!

Without HOV, it's worthless to me! :lol:

11. eclectcmoi

eclectcmoi Muffinologist

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    What I don't understand is how someone can ask a community for advice and then insult the very cars they love to drive. Me thinks you attract more bees to sugar than vinegar.

12. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Dude, get OVER IT! The carpool stickers save me maybe 20 to 30 minutes at the very tops. I have a 45 mile commute, and don't see THAT much difference, stickers or not. If you're unhappy with the car SELL IT! Lawsuits are not the answer to every problem. Better yet, get a carpool buddy, and solve your problem in a way that actually does some good. Last time I was on the 405, the carpool lane was only southbound anyway. Northbound, you're just another commuter, sticker or not. Geez, talk about sticker shock!

13. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(subarutoo @ Feb 6 2007, 04:29 PM) [snapback]386245[/snapback]</div>
    subarutoo,
    Wow, you are right!
    It is a little know secret, but anyone can take advantage HOV lanes even if they don't have a hybrid. The DMV site that says, "You may use a carpool lane or onramp if your vehicle carries the minimum number of people required for the carpool lane..." Who knew? ;)

I notice there are over four thousand listings on the California Carpool Center's site so perhaps drivers can find one situation that works?

14. gdogg23

gdogg23 New Member

I don't necessarily sympathize with this guy, but I am a little upset about the "randomness" of the program.

I purchased my car on December 16, 2006. I also asked about the stickers and was told they had plenty and that the finance manager "guarantee that you'll get your stickers." It wasn't one of the top reasons I purchased the car, but it was something that my wife and I thought was just another great reason to get the car.

I told the finance manager that I wanted to get the stickers and asked him how to do that. He said I needed to download the application and then mail in the form. He also said he wasn't sure, but didn't think I needed the plate number to turn it in. I made it very clear that I wanted to get the plate as soon as possible, just in case.

I visited this forum and looked at the info regarding the carpool stickers and saw how many here sent in their applications and received their stickers without the license plate number on the car. My wife and I even spoke to a few friends that have the stickers and found that they'd mailed them in prior to getting the plate number and received their stickers. So, we mailed the application out on December 18th.

We received the application back from the DMV less than a week later saying that it was "incomplete" and that I needed to wait until I received my plates in the mail. So, I called the dealer once every five days or so and spoke with DMV clerk who would always tell me "they are still processing it."

On January 26th, I called and was told that my plates had been issued and my number was XXXXXXX. I mailed the application out that day, but it was Friday.

We still haven't heard anything from the DMV, and I am little annoyed that so many people that purchased their Prii well after my wife and I did are going to get stickers because they somehow were able to magically get their plate number the day of purchase or within a day or two thereafter. Moreover, it seems that there were many, many people that were able to have a "completed" application without their plate number on the application.

The check hasn't cleared, I have not heard anything from the DMV, and I am sure we aren't getting the stickers, either.

I love the car, and would never think about getting rid of it, but this was a great program that lacked any sort of organization or uniformity. As a result, I do feel as though my wife and I got "screwed," for lack of a better term.

Just to make this clear. I/we feel screwed by the DMV/dealer/program, but not about the car. We love the car.

15. ohgreys

ohgreys New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Feb 6 2007, 02:10 PM) [snapback]386181[/snapback]</div>
    ...crossing my fingers for the chance to see this case play out in Judge Judy's courtroom...

:p

16. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LB07Touring @ Feb 6 2007, 12:55 PM) [snapback]386264[/snapback]</div>
    I'm sorry about your situation. One thing I researched before buying is how long it takes to get the plates. The dealer said just 3 days if I pay cash or a few weeks otherwise. So I paid cash, sent in an application, waited 3 days to get the plates, then sent in another application. ($8, so what.) Anyhow, I was at the tail end of the first batch of stickers, and knew I wasn't guaranteed to get them, but I wanted the car anyway. Anybody at that time or after would know that there was no guarantee if they did just a little research. Our reaction to the OP is the attitude that because he didn't do the research or even ask the right questions, he's going to sue the State. (No wonder LA people have such a bad reputation.)

One more thing... for those of you who don't think a 41 mile commute in LA is a big deal (especially on the 405, even if the carpool lane does go only 1 way), I do have to sympathize with the OP on that one!

17. YoDaddyAlex

YoDaddyAlex Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    to be blunt, if you only bought the prius or any hybrid to be in the carpool lane then I am glad you did not receive it and I am glad there are others like you out there

18. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sell the car and use the cash to move closer to work. The money you save on legal fees could go towards paying down the mortgage. :)

19. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :rolleyes: It's almost funny... :D

What a "SUE THEM" society we have created - thanks to Lawyers and "I want something for nothing" mindsets. Caveat Emptor still apples and always will. What with so much information being available online via the Internet, it's not difficult to get current information on most any subject. Prudence would suggest that in a ~$30k purchase, a person would research, shop and negotiate before shelling out hard-earned dollars.

If a Texas car salesman told me "You can drive in the HOV lanes with only the driver in the car," I would call him a bald-faced liar and find another dealer after informing his Sales Manager.

As others have commented, I have no sympathy for this Prius buyer. Sounds as if he didn't do much homework. The Prius is not in any way responsible for the State of California's HOV sticker program.

20. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Oh yeah, have you ever been the beneficiary of a class action law suit? I have. Twice. Believe me, even if you win, it's not worth your time or aggravation. (And I didn't even do any work either time except fill out a claim form to collect the payment, if you could call it that.) Do yourself a favor and take advantage of the generous trade offers you've had in this thread.