1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Selling - and my service history kinda sucks

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Priuscipessa, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Priuscipessa

Priuscipessa New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm selling my Prius, 80k miles. On close inspection, you can see signs of very minor wear, but basically the car is in excellent shape.

Problem: I have a couple periods where I missed scheduled maintenance.

Should I:

1. List it as the excellent-condition car it is and make sure the service history is provided to prospective buyers (email it before showings, print it out when they arrive).

2. Same as above, but call out my delinquencies and price them into the deal upfront. Like a salvage, but without the "it was just a minor ding, I have the pictures!"

3. Trade it in. Not sure this helps me at all, ethically or financially.

As a buyer or a seller in this situation, what would you do? (Obviously, I should have taken the car in more frequently... in the past).

Thank you!

2. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    If 2 15,000 mile intervals with no service records is the worst thing about this car, you don't have a problem. I don't see this as having a price hit at all. How would you like the car marketed to you? I'm thinking honestly and fairly. The car stands on its own merits price wise compared to the used car buying price guides and adjusted for local prices. Sounds like a great car!

3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds like a great car and you sound like an honest person... Just list it the same way every other car is listed and best advice I got on PriusChat is that the best place to sell your car is in the lobby of the bank of the person who's buying it! As for trade in... That's like giving away a couple thousand bucks to a car dealer, don't do it!

4. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You should not have a problem. Are all the TSB fixes done?
    I would detail the car right before you put it up foe sale. If it shines like a diamond, it's going to move faster and with a better resale price!
    Good Luck on the sale, and then The NEW car!

5. Priuscipessa

Priuscipessa New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    thanks! (x3).

I was planning on addressing the recent recalls (water pump, steering column) if they turn out needing to be addressed, but dealership has no info on when they will get official news about those. I imagine I could find that on this site :). The other warranty stuff (mats, 2 new HID lamps) are done. Brand new tires. And, yes detailed!

6. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Coming in late on this string, I do agree with the other's. You seem to be an honest person, so just continue being that way. If the buyer wants to see the service records, then show them. Otherwise if they ask just say that all the maintenance that is due is completed at this time. In reference to the two recalls, if you want to be overly honest you could ask them if they are aware that there are two recalls on the vehicle that were recently issued. IMO, it is up to the new owner to take care of his or her car to the best of their ability which includes following up on recalls. Besides, right now not many in the states are able to get their cars fixed under the recall. The folks in the UK seem to be ahead of us in the states, and Toyota has plainly stated in their corporate email which was sent out in November that the service/repairs for the two recalls will not be begin until 2013. Letters are supposed to be sent out to all affected owners.

I have attached a copy of the email for your reference that I found here on PC.

Good luck with your sale and your next car.

Also, Welcome to Prius Chat!

Ron

Attached Files:

7. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    +1, have the service records available but don't show them unless asked for them. Same with the recalls. If a person is knowledgeable they will ask for them, if they aren't, showing them will just raise more questions.

Also +1 on KK6PDs suggestion to detail the car before you put it on the market.

8. mbooth62

mbooth62 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If you did no oil change for 15k miles or more that might be an issue but if you did 5k changes or even if you ran oil to 10k should be no pro Len. A lot of buyers will not look at service history unlike many on this board. Skipping an inspection of these cars is no issue , especially if you can show last major service done .. And car checked out good. ....