1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Senate Approves Bill Requiring Silent EVs to emit noise at low speeds

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by Rybold, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    IT WILL STILL NEED APPROVAL BY THE HOUSE OF REPS THOUGH

Senate Approves Bill Requiring Silent EVs Like Nissan's Leaf to Make Noise | Fast Company

And you thought sitting in rush hour traffic was fun before. Now everyone's car is going to be whooping, coughing, gargling, or singing annoying cell phone ring tones, all at the same time!!!!!

2. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I want mine to sound like a whoopie cushion.

3. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I want mine to sound like a Ferrari. Either that, or Mr. T.

Hey, fool!

1 person likes this.
  4. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

I likee.

5. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So this is being lobbied by the National Federation for the Blind...but, yes, it doesn't address the safety of the deaf.

Maybe a flashing light could be added, too?

So now we've got a car that sounds like Mr. T, with a flashing light on the back and a mandatory backup camera. Lovely.

I'm thinking next step is to limit speed in reverse to 1mph.

6. caffeinekid

caffeinekid Duct Tape Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've already decided that given a choice, I want to plug in either the little sound that the George Jetson mobile makes, Anakin's home made racer in Star Wars or the submerged metal-under-duress sound that the Reaver ships make in Serenity.

7. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe now we can get Toyota to move the blasted reverse beeper to the outside where it belongs?

8. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We'd also add an additional button that must be depressed before operating the vehicle in reverse.

It's the liability button.

I mean, gosh, if it saves only one life, it'd be worth it, right?

This kind of legislation is insane.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    now that bobs not here, i can tell you how i really feel.:D

10. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I really like the liability button idea. Don't tell anyone about it, okay?

11. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Pity the fool.

12. caffeinekid

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I happen to agree with the anti-"if it saves only one life" routine, but requiring that EVs make some sort of noise is hardly just about blind people. It stands to reason that our whole society has become accustomed and adapted to motor vehicles having a sound. Nissan knows this and that is why they were funding the study. It shouldn't have to make it to government, but in order to have a decent standard, it is probably necessary.

My take is that you are given 5 senses for a reason and quite average and frankly "normal" people get into habits with how they use each of them. At night, you look for lights before crossing a dark road. If there are no lights and you hear an engine sound, you think twice. I know that this is a fairly weak example, but also parking lots come to mind. There are enough people screwing up already without adding another element to the mix. I would rather my car make some noise than some gal with her 2yr old in the cart not hear me and move into my path...even at a slow speed. I have had people do this before- more than a few. Tire noise in a parking lot is not as loud as an idling engine.

As for the empathy behind this issue. The other day I was talking to a guy who lives on a curve in our subdivision. His lawn had tire tracks through it and I mentioned how it must be a pita to have to re-sod the lawn. He already had small fencing sticks with reflectors, so I asked him why he didn't just get some nice big rocks to put along the perimeter of the roadway and put the reflectors on them. His response was that at least once a month somebody misjudges that curve and ends up spoiling his lawn. If he put rocks out there it could well be the difference between someone screwing up his lawn or getting seriously hurt. And he could always just put down some more grass seed. It gave me pause to think and I actually learned something. Better to prepare properly even if it means a little nuisance or cost than to do the wrong thing and have people getting hurt.

13. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's another idea. We have a remote control unit that allows us to walk outside the car while it's in reverse, so we can physically check to make sure there's no on in our path.

I think we're really on to something!

I know I'm being obnoxious, but since we haven't established how loud the sound of a conventionally driven motor vehicle needs to be to alert pedestrians—and considering that that sound was never intended for this purpose in the first place—it seems odd to now be legislating back-up noisemakers in this manner.

Some conventionally driven cars are very, very quiet; I find myself wondering if a very quiet little beeper is all that's necessary? Or, since we're going to the trouble anyway, why not install one like commercial vehicles use? Ambient noise varies widely, and these beepers would have to be loud enough to always be heard, or they'd be pointless. Perhaps we'd also incorporate a noise sensing circuit, which adjusts the volume of the beeper?

Ugh, it goes on and on.

I believe there's also a call for a study first, like Washington doesn't have anything else which might be more pressing. And who is paying for this study? We're broke already.

14. caffeinekid

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you ever ridden your bicycle where pedestrians were walking? Were you ever walking and had someone come up behind you on a bicycle? How did they alert you? Did they have a bell, or a whistle or a playing card in their spokes? Which would result in a more expedient or faster reaction on your part? Which would you prefer? How did you handle it when you came up behind someone? This is the point of having a noise and a universal standard. If we are going to have vehicles with the potential that EVs hold, we need to do things correctly from the start.

15. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's a good question. I have a little bell on my bike and will usually say, in a calm voice, "Passing on your left."

And, most importantly, I go as slowly as possible.

That is why a limit on the car's speed in reverse is, I think, very important (if we're going to go down the path of legislation). On my bike, speed differential is even more important than the bell or my voice. What's most important is giving people time to respond.

And yet...that's not even on the table here, is it?

No, it's not. Because this idea is not thought out fully. It's a knee jerk reaction that adds to the cost of vehicles and the federal deficit while not addressing the problem effectively. Which, these days, is what the government usually does.

In an automobile, increasing pedestrian response time could either be accomplished with a really loud beeper or a limit on the maximum speed in reverse. I'm for the latter. And I believe I'm the first to mention it.

I'm wise enough to admit that I simply don't know what "right" is in this case, and that the problem is actually lots more complex than it appears. I don't want us to end up with the equivalent of those annoying seatbelt interlocks from 1974-75, or those motorized shoulder belts from the 1980s which were found to be detrimental to safety, since folks neglected to fasten the lap belt portion of the restraint system.

If vehicle manufactures pay for the whole process of studying the problem and implementing a solution, and then pass the cost on to EV buyers—or all their customers, if they so choose—that's fine with me. The same thing was done with emission controls on ICEs, for example.

I'm sorry, if I were in the position to make this decision, I simply can not authorize the disbursement of government funds for a study and possible legislation at this time.

16. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Its not about cya, its about power. The government wants to take away power from anyone that innovates, by adding stupid rules to retard market success. This is big government intrusion and it won't save a single life, but 20 people in Washington will be employed enforcing it, and the deficit will go up because of those gd electric car people.:)

can't we just crank music for all the world to hear. A sky racer might seem ok, but I'd rather crank some Ludacris "Get out the way, get out of the way", but then I'm sure congress would enact another law against my ev noisemaker using the B word.

17. Ted in Olympia

Ted in Olympia New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I like you Pinto Girl,

You know how I feel about this and I'm very disappointed that one of our senators have the sense to vote no on this issue. It would not be politically correct and this is very sad. Even the crazy chirping crossing lights drive me crazy.

I wonder when is the last time a blind person got hit by an electric car?

TED

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my wife and i walk almost everyday in an area where there are many sport bikers going 20-30 mph. you cannot hear them come up behind you and, unfortunately, there are always a few who don't let you know they are coming and some even whiz right by your elbow just to make you jump.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and there are plenty of cars on the road that are just as quiet as an electric when they glide by you at idle doing whatever speed their momentum is carrying them.

20. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    +1
    I don't think noise makers should be required on vehicles, but if they are, the requirement should be based on the vehicle's inherent noise level, not the type of vehicle it is. Of course, that would include some of the Congress Critters luxury cars so would never get passed.