1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Serious Total Electrical Failure

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by leorob, Oct 17, 2007.

1. leorob

leorob New Member

2006 Prius
    We've now had this happen twice!

All of a sudden all goes dead! No power...No electrical.
    Can't start car
    All radio presets lost.
    Bluetooth phone memory lost
    GPS settings lost...even search region.

It is as though the battery has been removed.
    Dealer says could find nothing wrong.

Now it has happened again.

Clearly if this happens while moving we are in big trouble.

Anybody heard anything like this or have any ideas?

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    all of a sudden goes dead while car is ON? or all of a sudden decides to not start and all presets are gone?

if the latter, sounds like 12v isn't properly connected... check the ground connection first of all. if it is the 12v, it won't shut the car down if it's already running.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can you calmly and clearly describe exactly what happens, when these 'all power failures' occur...how you resolve the problem when it happens...how far between. Any error codes that were recoreded. How long have you had the car?

As Gal was getting to this sounds like a 12v power problem. It could be a bad connection, it could be that your hatch is ajar and the little light in there is left on and draining your 12v. Any door ajar could do the same. There could be parasitic drain from other areas...have you added any aftermarket stereo equipment or anything?

It's very unlikely this would happen with the car running as the 12v is charged from the HV battery and the car can run even with a bad 12v.

Although frustrating no doubt it doesn't sound like a serious problem...

4. Tchou

Tchou Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Oct 18 2007, 05:32 AM) [snapback]527190[/snapback]</div>
    ive just seen on mine that there is a little black box attached to the inverter it is written in it circuit breaker sensor, I think it is one of those breakers that shut off electricity in case of an accident, maybe one is faulty on your car...

5. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Most probable: the 12V battery is not making connection, or the 12V battery has been partly drained because a door was left open or a light was left on when the car was turned off. Can you take it to a different dealer for diagnosis?

6. leorob

leorob New Member

Here comes calm and clear.

After driving home for over 1/2 hour and pulling into garage and shutting car off, went to get something from back seat.
    Since door was locked pushed unlock on remote and NOTHING.
    Thought remote had dead battery so got second remote and no response from second remote.

Tried to start car....nothing...dead,

After 5 minutes (leaving the car and removing both keys from inside) I returned to the car with the key in my hand and the car STARTED without pressing anything. (remember that 5 minutes before I had pressed the start button and got no response).

Now everything works but all has been reset as thought battery was disconnected.

Hope that is calm and clear enough.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Oct 17 2007, 10:21 PM) [snapback]527184[/snapback]</div>

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(leorob @ Oct 18 2007, 05:49 PM) [snapback]527506[/snapback]</div>
    That is more calm and clear and helpful, thanks. Except you didn't describe the second event which would help to see what the similarities and difference are.
    I'd say that you just had the car hung up on IG ON or something, but that wouldn't clear the presets and such. So I'm much more inclined to agree with Galaxee that it sounds like there is a loose connection somewhere.

Pop the hood and check the fuse box, make sure everything is snug there.
    If you know how to access the 12v battery compartment check to make sure that it's also secure.

Finally, have you had any aftermarket accessories added?

8. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Many years ago, I had a similar problem with my Pinto.

Just would die for no apparent reason, but then would restart in the same manner, and run fine for a while before dying again.

And, no, silly, they don't all do that.
    [laughing]

Turned out that the bolt attaching a grounding strap, which completes the circuit around the chassis, was just about to fall out, and the strap was just barely hanging there, making sporadic contact.

It seemed that the motion of my getting in and out of the car when it wouldn't start...perhaps the slamming of the hood (or hatch) was enough to shake it to where the car would start up again.

Even though the Prius is no Pinto ---I mean, the Pinto is no Prius--- your problem sounds very, very similar to mine.

Loose connection somewhere in the 12v electrical system.