1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Service Bulletin for Engine Knocking at Startup T-SB-0204-11

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by seilerts, Dec 29, 2011.

1. duffasaurus

duffasaurus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The good news is that on 01/10/2012 a TSB has been released to long last address the Engine knocking and heavy vibration upon start up. Can the OP please post the link for this TSB as you've done with the above TSB. My Toyota dealer has the upgraded intake manifold on order as per this latest TSB! :cheer2:

2. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    2 summers ago I was amazed at Toyota, looking around at a dealers repair lot they were replacing frames on the small pickup, all 5+ years old, no questions, just doing the right thing, I'd have no worries about buying an 11 model 2, the problem is becoming documented, Toyota will rectify, you of course could buy another brand and give up any hope of 55+mpg effortlessly.

3. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

So a new intake manifold will fix it. Toyota just posted another service bulletin. That didn't take long. It makes me think that both the manifold and engine mount were discovered to be bad in their investigation into these problems.

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...cking-startup-t-sb-0012-10-a.html#post1449615

4. mrnoyb

mrnoyb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's only happened to me once in 4 months. Does my unit need the repairs? If it's a known issue, why not initiate a recall to deal with it? I really don't look forward to dealing with service when the problem can't be reproduced.

5. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    See the new TSB in the thread referenced in post 63 by Selerts.

If you go to the dealer and have them enter the fact that you have had the problem you will be covered if it reoccurs after your warranty is up.

1 person likes this.
  6. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just had mine replaced today. The repair took the tech much longer than the 0.7 it pays under warranty, in fact over 3 hours. Of course this was his first one so other ones will be faster. Apparently other mounts need to be loosened in order to get the old mount out.

My initial impression is that the engagement for the ICE is far less noticeable. This was a complaint that I’ve been having for the last few thousand miles. At idle the engine does seem to vibrate a bit less than before, but that may just be the placebo effect. I will park the car outside tonight and see tomorrow morning, whether I still get the drone—as that will be the real test.

1 person likes this.
  7. bounce88

bounce88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi. Is it fixed? Did you have just the engine mount replaced or manifold also? Thanks!

8. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just the mount was replaced. Never had the manifold problem. Vibration at cold starts is reduced with the new mount.

MB860 ?

9. LuvMy2010

LuvMy2010 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Had this TSB done, but the knocking is still there. Dealership won't fix the other TSB without a DTC.

10. bounce88

bounce88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Same here.. Had the motor mount replaced and not the Manifold. The engine knocking is still there. I even brought my own video of the violent engine knocking. Dealer said they weren't able to duplicate the issue

11. sschmid

sschmid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What I have noticed on very cold mornings is a lack of response (hesitation) when I step on the gas for the first minute or so of driving. I have noticed this for awhile in the cold weather. (36K on my prius) Is this related to this TSB. Is the knocking everyone is refering to an actual noise or rough preformance?

12. Tcortez

Tcortez Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    AB4A113F-53C9-496B-986A-EBEC23939B51.jpeg If your check engine comes on , sometimes the code will identify the misfire. If you have a loss of coolant , more then likely you have a blown head gasket. I found my problem using a cheap boroscope from amazon and hooked it up to my iPhone. My cylinder number 2 has coolant in it. Condensation , oil on top of the piston can also cause this shake and miss fire during startup. Identify the misfire during startup and cylinder then investigate. If any of you guys buy a Prius it is highly recommended to install a oil catch can and clean your egr valve / heat exchanger. These Toyota engineers really messed up on this simple fix. Many posts on the Prius engine needing a oil catch can, and many blown head gaskets from faulty design. Someone needs to start a class action law suit.

Attached Files:

RMB and Mendel Leisk like this.
  13. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    You could be the one...

RMB likes this.