1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Setting Bluetooth Default Setting to Voice Dialing

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Beasley1951, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Beasley1951

Beasley1951 New Member

I cannot figure out how to change the default setting on the 2008 Prius Bluetooth voice dialing software program built into the car to stay on "dial by name" rather than automatically reverting to the "dial by number" (digit) option everytime the car is turned off. Note: I have successfully paired my Treo 700p phone (Sprint) to the car, it seems to work fine including voice dialing numbers and by name tags (which by the way I finally figured out how to program after advice from this forum but no thanks to Toyota's cryptic and completely inadequate manual and on screen instructions on this subject). Back to the current problem... the only way I can seem to get the "dial by name" function to work (e.g., dial "Steve") is by doing the following which is not driver friendly: Step 1: punch the off hook button on the steering wheel; 2) push the phone book button on the car LCD screen (not a good idea while driving since you need to take your eyes of the road), 3) then push the "talk" button on the steering wheel colum which puts you into the command mode more dial by name (voice tag) rather than the default "dial by number". There must be a simpler and safer way to change the voice command mode from "dial by number" to "dial by name" with a simple voice command or at least a way to set the program to default to the more useful for driving option of "dial by name".

Anyone have a solution to this issue?

2. keithnteri

keithnteri New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beasley1951 @ Oct 24 2007, 12:01 PM) [snapback]529806[/snapback]</div>

The solution is simple, just hit the voice button and say "Dial by Name" it will walk you through who and place the call.

3. spohto

spohto New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Keithnteri @ Oct 25 2007, 03:36 PM) [snapback]530402[/snapback]</div>
    Hitting the voice button does nothing unless you press off-hook first. Once you press off-hook and the voice button, I'm getting the same prompt for number dialing as Beasley1951 described. The only way to dial by name (as far as I can tell) is to first navigate to your phone book and then hit the voice button.

4. Beasley1951

Beasley1951 New Member

Correct. Or hit yhe the speed dial screen which prompts "say a command" whereupon you can swithch from dial by number to dial by name.

[

5. miltw

miltw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If the entries in your "phone book" have no voice tags, I assume that "dial by voice" will not work.

If the Contacts List in my cell phone already have voice tags, will these tags be valid when I transfer this list to the Prius?

6. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    While moving, begin by pressing the Off-hook switch. That will put the speed dial screen on the MFD.
    Now press the VR talk switch, and say "dial by name", or "dial by number". If you chose name, It will then take you to the phonebook screen ,where you press the talk switch and it prompts for name. (Contact names must have been previously recorded by you).
    IF you choose number, it will take you to the keypad screen and when you push the talk switch it will prompt for the number.

Voice recognition works really well for me, but the process is tedious because of all the back-and-forth command-response stuff gets old. I just use speed dials for the routine numbers and my actual phone for the rest.

It all works the same way when you are not moving, but you can begin the "dial..." commands, with the talk switch, from any screen. (The fact you have to begin by pushing the off-hook switch ,while moving, is a flaw IMHO> (Otherwise the command-response routine has an unnecessary need to repeat the command).

7. Fred Wacksman

Fred Wacksman New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks, that's a good step by step direction, too bad the manual doesn't make it that easy. I was tickled to get the VC to work.....that was a pain, but one of the posters helped out there.
    Fred

8. Fred Wacksman

Fred Wacksman New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I goofed when I said Verizon, it is Toyota and search bluetooth and follow the prompts. It will take you to toyota.letstalk.com. Go there and follow their prompts.