1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Shark attack victim returns to surf with prosthesis

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Dave_PH, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Dave_PH

Dave_PH New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    [​IMG]

Mike Coots, who was attacked by a shark while surfing off the Hawaiian island of Kauai in 1997, now surfs with a prosthesis after losing his leg in the attack.

Roberts: A little more detail on your attack. You were surfing off of Kauai. What happened?
    Coots: It was early in the morning in October. I was paddling out with some friends and it was pretty quick. I paddled for a wave. The shark came up from under me and grabbed my leg and did the rag doll thing. It was over quicker than I thought. And it was done. I looked at my leg and my leg was completely gone. Went to the beach and my friend tied a tourniquet, stemmed the bleeding and saved my life. They took me to the hospital. I woke up from surgery, went through rehabilitation and back in the water.
    Roberts: What about you Debbie? You were in the Canaveral National Seashore in Florida. What happened?
    Debbie Salamone: Right. I was just wading and all of a sudden, a shark came up from behind me and grabbed my foot. There was a bit of a struggle and I was able to get away, but it severed my Achilles tendon and tore my heel loose. So same thing as Mike: rehabilitation

2. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  3. Dave_PH

Dave_PH New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The shark carnage is mounting

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The real story is that it was a bunny that tore his leg off, but he was too embarrassed to admit it, so he made up the story about the shark. Ever since Jaws, people will believe any injury was caused by a shark. There are still people who believe that J.F.K. was actually shot by a shark.

5. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I thought that Dave said that sharks were killers. They aren't killers, they are just playing catch and release. :madgrin:

6. Dave_PH

Dave_PH New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    But they don't release ALL the parts

7. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Souvenirs.

8. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yes, they do. They spit them out.

9. bevspark

bevspark Toyota, Major Sponsors of The

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Daniel, I dare you to swim in the Adelaide beach during our summer months. Please remember, only swim between the flags.

10. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Out of one end or the other.

Tom

11. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm not scared of the sharks. It's the jellyfish that terrify me! Not to mention the salt-water crocodiles. And the bunnies! Oz is overrun with bunnies!

12. bevspark

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

We do not have Stinging Jellyfish in South Australian waters. We do not have crocodiles in South Australian waters. The bunnies are really not a problem, they will not kill you. But Sharks, they are different kettle of fish, they will eat you, if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time. Always remember, SWIM BETWEEN THE FLAGS.

13. moxiequz

moxiequz Weirdo Social Outcast

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    What about the cane toads? :eek:

14. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    According to Diver's Alert network, sharks kill ten people a year, worldwide. Coke machines kill more. Domestic dogs kill far more than that. But bunnies will rip your legs off.

What's the water temperature at your beaches? I wear a wet suit at 28 degrees Celsius, and colder than 25 I won't even go in.

We saw a cane toad on Frasier Island. It was dead. A death adder had bitten it. The death adder was dead also, by the side of the toad. Let that be a lesson to you! Don't bite a cane toad. Better yet, stay away from Australia. They have far too many bunnies.

15. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Expose as many people to sharks that are exposed to coke machines and maybe the sharks would do better.

16. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    An awful lot of people hit the water in a year, world-wide. And what's really telling is that outfits that take people out specifically to swim with sharks, and search out the sharks do not account for any of the rare attacks.

What skews our perception is that every single shark bite gets world-wide press. What do you suppose it would be like if every single auto accident fatality got world-wide press attention? Say, every single newspaper and every single TV news show gave ten column inches or three minutes to every auto accident victim? There would not be enough trees in the Amazon to print the papers, or enough time in the day to broadcast the news shows!

The result is that people are willing to take a million times greater risk in their car than in the water. Every single minute you spend in a car is more dangerous than a week in the water. I'd like to see statistics about how many surfers are killed by sharks, compared to how many die in other types of surfing accidents, such as hitting rocks or drowning.

17. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

If you swim with the bunnies, expect to get nibbled!
    My foolproof way of swimming here in the red triangle is to take an anchovy pizza out with me as sacrificial bait. Works! Haven't been bit yet.

18. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    :D

19. bevspark

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

This time of the year it is freezing. I wouldn't go in either. During the summer the sea water is quite warm. You do not need a wet suit to go swimming.
    We are trying to keep the cane toads out of South Australia. They are disgusting, worse than bunnies!

20. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    We use the same technique here in the Great Lakes, and so far there have been no reported shark attacks. The system must work.

Tom