1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Shark Fin Antenna Alignment - Alternate Method

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by DAWg134, Sep 3, 2014.

1. DAWg134

DAWg134 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I received my Visual Garage Shark Fin Antenna this morning, purchased from the PriusChat Shop, and had it installed this afternoon by myself in less than 15 minutes. The secret to such a quick installation? I ignored the instructions to use masking tape to locate the antenna in the correct alignment and used four neodymium magnets to create an ad hoc locating jig instead.

The problem with the original instructions was that I lack a second person to act as a spotter to verify alignment as the masking tape is set into place. The coiled antenna wire had a tendency to cause the antenna body to scoot forward a bit... and usually off to one side or the other as well.

The beauty of placing the neodymium magnets on the roof to locate the shark fin base is that they stay put and hold the antenna in place securely, yet allow the position to be adjusted as necessary until the proper alignment is achieved. Smaller, less powerful magnets could be used just as easily, but this is what I already had on hand.

Once the antenna has been properly 01 -Shark Fin Antenna (Left Side).jpg 02 - Shark Fin Antenna (Right Front).jpg 03 - Shark Fin Antenna (Rear).jpg 04 - Shark Fin Antenna (Right Rear).jpg 05 - Shark Fin Antenna (Right Rear Top).jpg aligned, lift it up, remove the tape backing, and simply set the antenna back into place - if you've set two magnets forward and two aft as shown, it should go back into the exact location.

Accordlayingkit and ftl like this.
  2. Accordlayingkit

Accordlayingkit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Looks off a little based on the shadow of it and the rear washer nozzle.....haha jk looks good man

3. DAWg134

DAWg134 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks.... it's a lot closer than the photo shows - it's actually off a little to the left (CCW) as opposed to the right (CW), as it appears in the photo. If I had to guess, I'd say it's approximately 1/10th of a degree. I probably also should've mentioned that it's best to sight the placement using the midpoint of the (reverse?) light, located below the spoiler. Visually aligning the antenna using just the window washer nozzle is nearly impossible. I started out using that method and thought I had it really close... until I backed up and took another look.

4. Accordlayingkit

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    haha its all good man...looks great...I struggled with mine as well

5. Tuandeezy

Tuandeezy New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Im thinking about picking one of these up for my 2015 prius 3, but I've read mixed reviews saying the common problem people have had with them is the adhesive coming undone. Particularly the front of the fin. I have emailed visual garage to get their input on it and they told me that they have fixed the issue with the antenna and that anything else outside of that is mainly human error in their lack of cleaning the surface before applying. I just wanted to get your input on it since you've had them for almost a year now. How are they holding up? Any issues?

6. Accordlayingkit

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    No issues with mine at all and have had close to a year now.

Got mine from the PriusChat store. Link for the one I have is in my build page in my signature.

#6 Accordlayingkit, Jun 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
    Tuandeezy likes this.
  7. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That's cool, but I'd be very scared to place a neodymium magnet that big on a painted steel surface! Must take a lot of muscle to place it down gently.

As far as alignment goes, no laser level? :D

Tuandeezy likes this.