1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Shifting to neutral to avoid engine braking

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by primuspaul, Jun 9, 2014.

1. primuspaul

primuspaul Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    If I run the ICE up to desired speed (high point), is it okay to shift into neutral for gliding? Is it also okay to shift to Drive from Neutral at speed when it's time to accelerate? It's just kind of hard to keep the gas pedal exactly at the point where there is no battery power being used and no regen braking. Does this damage/wear out the shifter or the transmission?

Does a 2002 (classic) Prius have the same Parking safety feature as later models that just beeps if you put it into Park at high speed?

2. haole man

haole man Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There is no engine braking unless you shift to B. You're over thinking it; just drive the car and let the computer take care of the details.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I find it pretty easy to lightly touch the gas, with the aim of dispelling regen braking. Stick at it, you'll be doing it without thinking.

I rarely find the regen braking getting in my way, anyway. Mainly if I'm doing something like trying to coast to red light, and find I'm slowing too soon. Then I'll just touch the gas; you can see the little blip of regen disappear on the HSD bar.

#3 Mendel Leisk, Jun 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
    Prius-Paul likes this.
  4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I personally avoid N at all times, but that is not what you asked.

No gears change between D and N, in N no electricity is sent to or received from the motors, so the engine has nothing to push against.
    It certainly does not wear out the transmission, the only reason I hear of folks changing the shifter is vanity, not excessive wear.

I encourage you to not spend any time in N as N does not charge the big battery. By avoiding the free regen electricity during slowing, you condemn the engine to generating electricity using gasoline.

Okinawa likes this.
  5. Prius-Paul

Prius-Paul New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just leave in "D" and call it a day!!

Okinawa likes this.
  6. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Primus,
    Yes, you can shift to N and get the same effect as gliding without having to worry about pedal placement. There is a guy on here name Bob Wilson who uses this technique and has been for years. He has not worn out his shifter but he has netted numerous 1000 mile tanks. YMMV.

The Gen 1 does not beep at you but won't shift into reverse at speed.

7. primuspaul

primuspaul Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I read it could not be harmed by shifting into reverse, or any gear, but I did read that the Gen 1 was vulnerable if shifted into Park at speed.

Thanks for the info regarding Neutral. I figured it was just a button. Some folks with Gen 2+ just don't understand me when I ask. I don't have a gauge showing how far into the gas accel. or electrical accel., or regen braking for that matter, I am to easily take the pedal off just enough to coast without arrows. Ideally, I'd like to accelerate to 55, shift to Neutral, cost to 42-45, shift to Drive and restart.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    gen II does not have the his gauge either, it is very helpful.

9. primuspaul

primuspaul Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I know it does not charge the battery. My goal is to use up all inertia during a glide for the purposes of motion. If I take the foot off of the acceleration pedal, it starts to regen brake, which converts inertia into stored electrical energy. If I am driving on a highway and have no intention of stopping in the near future, converting inertia (that I need) into electrical energy for the battery is inefficient.

But if I see I need to slow down all of a sudden, it's easy to shift a gear (yes I know it's not an actual gear) into D to engage braking.

#9 primuspaul, Jun 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  10. primuspaul

primuspaul Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Maybe I'm thinking of Gen III+.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  12. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I don't know about the vulnerabilities of shifting the Gen 1 into P at speed, I never tried it. lol

As for the scenario above, you can do that all day long with the Gen 1. You have to remember, they don't understand you because the Gen II glides way better than the Gen I. The Gen I is hard to get into a glide so neutral is a viable option. Just remember, if you shift to N at 55, the ICE will still be spinning (no fuel use but resistance associated with crank and cam etc) due to rpm restrictions on MG1 (the ICE must spin above 42mph to protect MG1). Despite all of that, you will not cause any problems for the car and there is no problem with doing that.

#12 usnavystgc, Jun 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  13. robertmaria

robertmaria Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    there is no 'safety feature' to shifting into Park at speed. the pawl would shear off inside the transaxle and truly jam up, possibly exploding gears. are you serious? Put it into Park at speed? just remember push the brakes hard enough and the brakes STOP the car, even a Prius.

14. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is the 'c' or Gen1 different on this than the modern Liftback?

I've hit Park and Reverse numerous times at highway speed on both my GenIII Liftbacks. No problem, it immediately defaults to a self-protective Neutral with a double beep warning. This is actually faster than trying to deliberately shift to Neutral. I practice it just to be ready for the mythical 'Sudden Unintended Acceleration' -- something I have experienced in an older car.

robertmaria likes this.
  15. robertmaria

robertmaria Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    i meant no disrespect. coincidentally, i got my c one base without cruise control especially because i did not want the unintended accelleration problems i read about. but i had a friend who did put a Passat into park at speed,,, eventually it caught and locked the wheels. not good.
    and as times goes on, my "c" seems to be more inspired by Prius than actual Prius. we shall c

16. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately, the absence of cruise control won't protect you from most actual and potential causes of unintended acceleration.