1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SHM (Super Highway Mode) or alternative for 65-75 mph range? hints?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by cwerdna, Jun 22, 2009.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    sorry but i dont buy speeding just because "everyone else" does it. if the speed limit is 65 mph, then drive 65 mph. there are others on the road driving at that speed or under. you are on a multi-lane freeway (i used to live in San Jose and all the freeways have plenty of lanes) so speeding to keep has even less justification

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yep, there are definitely others driving at that speed or slower, but see below as to why this is a problem.
    One of my recent drives back from Redwood City where I tried to do SHM which meant keeping my speed almost entirely below 65 mph proved my above point. I had the above problems. I kept having to move to the left periodically to avoid hitting merging cars and thus had to sometimes accelerate quite a bit.

I used to live in the Puget Sound area myself and people there drive too slow, go below the speed limit in the fast lane in the daytime w/clear weather w/nobody in front for no reason, don't keep right if they're driving to slow or yield when there are cars piling up behind them.

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i will agree that we dont have lane discipline in this state which does suck. it does not really hold up traffic when having slow people in the fast lanes. only the risk of being out there is higher as people weave around these people.

and there are times when driving faster is necessary and i guess i am glad i live in an area where some people are able to stay at the speed limit or slightly above. around here in populated areas (which is all the area north of here) the speed limit is 60 and i generally do around 62 as a habit. i am not the slowest person on the road and congestion does not allow even the fastest person to do much more than 65 most of the time. this would be alleviated by having slower people drive farther right but what can i say?? it just aint happening.