1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Shorter trips a bit longer to increase Mpg??

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Stratman, Jun 5, 2014.

1. Stratman

Stratman Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just curious here. Since the mileage in a Prius is so much worse for the first 5 or so minutes of driving first thing in the morning, would it not make sense to increase a short trip by a few minutes to increase average mpg? I know this sounds counterintuitive as you would be going further, thus burning more fuel. Or would this just be purely academic?

Also, I have noticed a significant increase in my short trip, first thing in the morning, mileage when I punch the power button, leave the key fob on the seat and go back in to fill up my coffee thermos since the ICE only runs for about a minute during its boot cycle. It usually starts up as I'm getting out and has already shut off by the time I get back in.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    My goal is never to have a high MPG, it is always to use the least gas. In what way does having a high MPG benefit you?

By all means combine necessary tasks, but never just drive.

3. Stratman

Stratman Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    "Never have high mpg? Having a high mpg means I go further per gal of gas. Sometimes I read things that make me wonder. Like why pay 140.00 for a tire to pick up 2 mpg when it will never pay for itself vs an 80.00 tire. Or lop off mirrors to pick up probably nil. There is a guy who will make you a set of fender skirts for the rear for 499.99 and he even admits it only nets him .2mpg on the highway. If you really want to get the most bang for literally nothing, it would make sense to never fill up the tank. Since gas is approx 8lbs per gal and 11.9 gals weighs over 95lbs, wouldn't it be smarter to keep your tank at 1/4 full all the time?

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    But when you start driving further JUST to get high MPG, you use more gas. To achieve some silly number.

4 * 140 = $560
    4 * 80 = $320
    Cost $240
    70,000 (average tire life?) / 48 MPG = 1458 gallons
    70,000 / 50 = 1400 gallons
    58 gallons saved * 3.75 = $217.50 so, yeah unless the $140 tires last longer, you won't gain.

#4 JimboPalmer, Jun 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    best thing to do is try to consolidate as many trips as possible, drive to the furthest destination and work your way back home. or buy a pip.:)

NR427 likes this.
  6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Jimbo's goal isn't to go farther on the same amount of gas. Instead, he wants to go the same places as usual, but using least amount of gas possible.

If you are trying to reach the high MPG for competitive or bragging purposes, then run the extra miles. But beware that the each extra mile costs extra fuel, even if the increments are smaller than for the initial miles. But if you are trying to minimize total fuel use or carbon footprint, don't add any unnecessary distance. Keep the trips as short as practical.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you stay home, you'll get 0 mpg.:p

Stratman likes this.
  8. Stratman

Stratman Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Funny thing is that, according to one LLR tire test review site I want to, said that the 140.00, 80k tire realistically will last about 55k and the 80.00, 50k tire would probably go 45k miles. When I figured the 30k difference, tire price and the approx 2mpg drop, the more expensive tire actually saved almost 200.00 over the listed life. With the real life numbers not so much. (Wish I had the sheet of paper I scribbled all this out on because I tried to fudge the numbers either way looking for break even points). I'm always trying maximize my outlays over time. I just bought mine new 3 months ago and my ADHD/OCD (seriously) self is already pricing tires.

BTW. I really value everyone's shared experiences with their personal test data on all things Prius. Kudos to all the technical Gurus, also. I'm still a newbie at this and sometimes my wit can come across as a bit smartasstically sarcastic. I'm just throwing things out there trying to dig a little deeper.

9. Stratman

Stratman Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is my thinking also. I'm just having this compulsion right now to get that pesky computer to hit 60mpg as my average. Practice makes perfect as I have consistently kept it at 56.00 this tank and have gone about 270 miles so far and have been trending up as I'm getting a feel for it. When I do hit 60mpg maybe I'll buy "Betty Joe" a dozen roses to sit on her dash.

10. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My best 2 cents is to go easy on the throttle for short trips. Your biggest problem is wasted fuel during engine warm up, but that's going to have more to do with the weather (hot/cold) than anything else. Try having a remote starter. That has a hit, but it's worth it to come out to a defrosted Prius.