1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should I buy a prius with 137k miles?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Dwight Schrute, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am meeting with a guy and am purchasing a prius tomorrow. it has 137k miles on it. and has been in one accident, moderate to severe accident in the rear. Is this a mistake? I am concerned about the battery giving out. Are there signs to look for if a battery is on its last breath of life?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    unfortunately for you, i'm the only guy on duty tonight. the mistake might not be in the mileage, as much as the accident. approach with caution, these cars are susceptible to post accident electrical ghosts.

Dwight Schrute likes this.
  3. Dwight Schrute

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    hahahaha. i can see that.

4. Xterra72

Xterra72 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Don't do it. I wouldn't. Just a big headache down the road. Always wondering when the big triangle will show up. Good luck if you purchase.

5. Dwight Schrute

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, would you recommend purchasing one with 100k on it?

6. Xterra72

Xterra72 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Sorry. I am the wrong person to ask. To tell you the truth, I don't know what the previous owner (s) have done with the car, so I always buy new. I know the depreciation is ridiculous but the peace of mind is worth it for me.

Okinawa and Dwight Schrute like this.
  7. Dwight Schrute

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As soon as I finish school and have a decent paying job, I will be doing the same. I agree with you. Unfortunately. Im poor lol

8. roamerr

roamerr Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Depends on year, mileage, price, repair history and other factors. If I saw wrecked pics then personally I might consider at the right price. The battery is pretty far forward so I would much rather have one hit in back vs front.

iPhone ?

9. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What happened to the rest if the crew?

The batteries tend to last for 9-10 years and usually 150k+ miles...feels like mine is getting shaky at 9 years. We've heard very few 2008's replaced yet, but the 2007's are just starting to report in. So a year from now we will be hearing 2008's just starting to report in. You and I are in non CARB states so we are off warrranty at 100k miles.

bisco and Dwight Schrute like this.
  10. Xterra72

Xterra72 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    When I was in high school, years ago, I actually drove an old Buick regal 1972 that I inherited from my dad.

Then when I had a little bit if money I actually bought a stripped 1990 Honda Civic 4 door (salvaged) but clean. Only reason I got rid of it was because I modded it so much it would not pass smog.

When I could finally afford new, I went for it. It will come in time. Study hard. It will pay off.

11. Dwight Schrute

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you! Yeah it was in a "moderate to severe" in the rear accident last year, its been repaired. the back up camera still works and everything. I am going to offer 5k. About when do the batteries start to give out usually? Do you have an idea how much they actually cost? i googled their costs but I can't really get a definite answer.

12. Dwight Schrute

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you! I am trying to get a car that is going to last me 5 years. till I graduate and finish grad school I drive an hour every day to school. and Ive been saving my money for a used prius. its take over a year! lol so Im trying to make a good decision. i drive an hour to school every day.

13. Dwight Schrute

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    this was very helpful thanks

14. randommonks

randommonks Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    There is a shop in Houston that offers new and rebuilt batteries. Price list:

Mobile Service Prices | Hometown Hybrids

I think prices should be around the same in other areas.

Also, I've been reading all your posts in Dwight's voice. Try to negotiate like him too when you make the offer on your Prius (reference when he bought Andy's XTerra) :p

15. khm

khm New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My prius has well over 200,000 miles on it and is still going strong! (It's made multiple trips across the country.) That being said, it has never been in an accident (knock on wood) so I'm not sure how that would factor into things.

kenoarto likes this.
  16. PoPoPlatter

PoPoPlatter Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't care how cheap it is, I would never buy a car that has been in a moderate to severe accident. You are asking for trouble down the road and it will cost you more in the end.

Plus, I bet that car has a salvage title.

Good luck trying to get insurance on that car. No reputable insurance will give you full coverage.

Okinawa and Dwight Schrute like this.
  17. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is the title clean?
    Because I'm getting a psychic flash of a neon sign flashing salvage/reconstructed.

I have a feeling of impending doom that says this isn't just a red flag, it's a Red Wedding, and I'd run from it like a Stark Family member that notices the doors being locked. But similarly it sounds like it's too late. You're going to buy this thing aren't you?

You've got 5 grand saved up and a desire to be a Prius owner, and Winter is coming, so who am I to tell you a used Yaris would be a better choice? You're not turning back.

If somebody has told you they have a Prius that has been in a moderate to severe rear end accident? Let's just say my guess is that needle is pointing way closer to severe than it is moderate. And if that IS their sales pitch? And your response is, I'll meet ya tomorrow with some cash? Then get me to platform 9 and 3/4's because I've got a train to catch.

Good Luck, my instincts based on limited information COULD BE totally wrong here.
    And since I don't think anyone can stop you....I hope they are.

18. Dwight Schrute

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh no. Im still stoppable. I have about 7k I've saved. but was only willing to pay 5k for the car. I don't really have many options other than 150k+ prius. i was trying to get a prius before classes start on tuesday. i do feel somewhat hesitant about going with this car... i should probably just wait. but you are right. there is no stopping me, I'm getting a prius... but I'm just having a lot of second thoughts with this decision .it said in the car fax moderate to severe accident, thats where i got that from and i am pretty sure its a college kid from ann arbor. he texted me "your the man, dude". ( i am a girl lol). so i kind of wonder the care the car has been in. ( NOT stereotyping, I am in college too, I am just familiar with my kind lol). And the title is clean

19. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    if its cheap enough take it, rear end damage isn't as bad as front end...just remember this car will never be perfect and have very low value due to the crash..
    the battery can die at any time without warning so unless you can predict the future ask yourself, do you really want this car?

20. Manhal K Alrashdan

Manhal K Alrashdan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    ========================
    Your reply has comforted me , I have Prius with 135k and had my hand on my heart .