1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should I or should I not?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by YukYukLee, Jul 24, 2015.

1. YukYukLee

YukYukLee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just brought my 2010 Prius to Toyota for an oil change. They said I need new Brakes and quoted me $513.99 should I go to factory or get aftermarkets? Which is better? Thank you in advance!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That seems very expensive. Which brakes were bad? Front or Rear? Since the Prius mostly uses electronic braking, it's rare to need brakes under 100k miles

3. YukYukLee

YukYukLee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well he said my pads had about 3mm left on them. I asked if I needed new rotors he said yes lol I know figure is ask before paying the stealership anything

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You should get your brake work recommendation in writing with the measurements and such......then get a second opinion and see what happens. I think you may just be at a desperate dealer trying to make some money off you

5. YukYukLee

YukYukLee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437713733.408184.jpg

I feel like a idiot for letting them do a tranny flush at 70k miles as well

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    if you have never done a transaxle fluid change, it isn't a bad idea at 70k to do it. Take a good look at the rotors and see if they are scored. If they look nice and smooth still, you don't need new rotors

7. Silver bullit

Silver bullit Right Lane Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What is your odometer reading?

8. YukYukLee

YukYukLee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I did a transmission flush\refill not sure if that is a transaxle?

69,890 miles

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437714249.997942.jpg

Also he told me to do a coolant flush, but I declined it for now, figured I'd ask on the forums

lol.. they charge $115\hour I guess but where should I get a second opinion? some other shop instead of dealership?

9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    yes that's the same. It should not have been more than $150 though.....that's already the very high end of the prices

$90 is very reasonable for a dealer to do the transmission fluid chnge. Synthetic oil change for under $45 wow.

no wonder they change $500+ for rear brakes. to make up the money they didn't make LOL

our regular member "Bisco" is from MA, he'll respond with a good option in your area

10. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    New rear pads have a thickness of 9.5 mm while the replacement spec is at 1.0 mm. Hence if the measurements are accurate, you still have ~25K miles that you could drive prior to replacing the rear pads.

However it would be unusual for your rear pads to wear so much - unless you are in the habit of driving the car with the parking brake engaged, and I suggest you either look at the pad thickness yourself or secure a second opinion.

There is nothing wrong with having the transaxle fluid drained and replaced. A "flush" is not required.

11. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually?
    The dealer's labor rates seem to be fairly reasonable.
    $115/hr may sound like plumber or doctor rates, but I'm thinking that the industry average is probably closer to a buck fifty - with 0.5 hour granularity.
    Remember.....this is a loaded rate.
    The person swinging the wrench certainly isn't making three figures an hour!

I don't have a problem with good wrenches making a good wage.
    Anybody who has ever spent more than an hour with their feet sticking out from under a car will probably readily agree.

The transmission flush (if it was done) was reasonably priced, and it's not a bad idea to get this service done every 60,000 miles or so despite the fact that it's not on the schedule of maintenance.
    As Patrick pointed out above, your brakes are well within specs and if the rotors are in good shape you're good to go for a few more miles.
    The OP is in Boston, so I'm not surprised that the brakes are prematurely wearing since Bostonians are the only people on the planet that are collectively worse drivers than left-coasters, and Bastan is a much harsher environment for brakes even without the driver.
    I wouldn't even get a second opinion on the brakes
    Just continue using the horn instead of the brakes like everybody else in big cities.

Coolant flush????
    People haven't flushed coolant systems in decades.
    I'm thinking that they're trying to get you to replace the coolant....in......what?
    The inverter or the radiator?
    Maybe neither.
    Maybe they want to replace the cash in your wallet with a repair ticket.

If you insist on using this dealership to maintain your car, then I would have a frank discussion with the service manager about some of their practices, and I would become familiar with your car's schedule of maintenance and get second opinions on anything that these guys want to do that's not routine maintenance.

I'm surprised that they didn't try the throttle body cleaning scam on you.

Good Luck!

12. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    !!! :ROFLMAO:

YukYukLee likes this.
  13. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If it was done right and was not too expensive ... it is s good service ... but if they even mentioned FLUSH and COMPUTER HOOKUP then they did cheat you .... for the prius BY TOYOTA manual it is a drain and refill operation there is no sensor or anything the computer can even monitor ... (in some other toyota cars maybe I do not know)

14. YukYukLee

YukYukLee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sorry didn't mean flush just drain and refill like what they wrote on the receipt I posted above

15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The transaxle fluid change is timely, even overdue, even though Toyota makes no mention of it. And their price was reasonable. It's not a "flush", and your invoice doesn't describe it as a flush. All good.

If your brake pads are at 3 mm remaining, roughly all four corners, I wouldn't wait too long. That last 3 mm tends to go faster, and it seems to me is more stressful on the rotors, there's less mass to dissipate heat, and if pads are going to start coming apart, it's in those last few mm's. And a four corner brake job WITH new rotors for that $ seems reasonable.

Personally, I'd do it myself, for maybe $200 worth of pads, use the OEM pads, and if at all possible reuse the rotors: they tend to be replaced WAY too often.

It's very easy to screw up the rear brakes, leave them dragging due to misassembly. If they're competent this won't happen, but I'd strongly recommend that you get the rear wheels checked for drag, post brake job.

16. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Looking at his dealer report, it looks the front pads are at 6mm, just the rear pads are "low". The quote has to be rear pads and rotors for $500+

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  17. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Oh right, I can't see.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would get a second opinion on the brakes, and have them show you while inspecting. try another dealer, or the good news garage in cambridge. no need for any coolant changes yet. the tranny fluid was a good idea. check your o/m for recommended maintenance.

19. Ali Terzian

Ali Terzian New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My Opinion is to go factory. I know they cost more but I believe it to be a worthwhile investment. I have a Suzuki as well and I put aftermarkets on there and had nothing but trouble, rubbing sounds, and they wore out much faster and multiple times. Once I went back to the factory ones I had no more problems. Even though the aftermarket ones had lifetime replacement it doesnt cover your time, the labor, and potential damage to the rotors. Also if there is no viable damage on the rotors you still have pads so as long as you have no rubbing or scraping sounds the rotors are probably fine. As long as there are no serious groves or wear in them your probably ok. Seems to be a favorite "push" item amongst mechanics

#19 Ali Terzian, Jul 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  20. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I recently changed the front brake pads on my 2005 with 175k miles on it. OEM parts from the (online) dealer for $50 and my mechanic $50. Total $100 with a free tire rotation