1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should I pull the trigger? (from hertz)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by CollinPark, Aug 2, 2015.

1. CollinPark

CollinPark Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Been in the market for a used prius for a while, came across a nice deal for a 2013 ex-rental fleet and wanted your opinion on the matter. (first car, family of 2)

specs:
    2013 Prius II
    ex Hertz car
    55,000 miles
    original warranty active (5,000 miles for the powertrain 45,000 for the hybrid)
    hertz back their cars with a 12,000 12 month powertrain warranty
    small dings and scratches which are not noticeable until closer inspection
    its light blue green
    clean title
    back tires choppy (6 months left on them)
    front bumper has a tiny crack which is not noticeable
    price 12,200 (+ documentation should bring it up to 12,500 pre tax)

got it checked at a toyota dealership and they said the car is in great condition par the 2 back tires which may need replacing by winter.

we really like it but it never hurts to get opinion from the internet

uploaded some pix

Attached Files:

#1 CollinPark, Aug 2, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
    Dylan Doxey and Priusguy78213 like this.
  2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Sounds like the back tires are out of alinement, I would have a 4 wheel alinement done (Ideally they pay) and then buy it.

3. Priusguy78213

Priusguy78213 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Bought my 2013 with about the same miles. And almost the exact sane price!! It got a clean bill of health from my local Toyota dealer. I've had mine a few months, been on some road trips all over TX. so far so good. I recommend the Michelin Energy Saver all season tires when you go to replace them. Put 4 on mine when I got it; I keep them at 40 psi and have been getting great mileage.

4. Priusguy78213

Priusguy78213 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    And yeah, always get the alignment done BEFORE you get those new tires mounted. I did that and no problems.

5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The concerns about alignment are valid.
    So I'd definitely want that checked.

I generally don't feel good about used "Rental Fleet" purchases because of the obvious. You have 55,000 miles of different drivers with different driving styles that have driven the vehicle, and also since they are renting, had no vested interest in treating it with respect.

HOWEVER....

A lot of people seem to purchase them and have a lot of years of reliability and good outcome. So, I'm willing to say if Toyota has checked it out, and you're happy with it? The buy in price is good. Go for it.

6. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Im always that guy that says never buy a rental vehicle.... well because rental vehicle = treated like a rally car and put away wet:eek:..

But the more I think about it, how bad can you beat on a Prius, seriously?:rolleyes: You can't do donuts or burnouts, you can't slam it into gear from reverse, the engine redline is fairly low so even driven aggressively for all those miles as long as routine maintenance was done it should be fine. Like you said, a Toyota dealership gave it a clean bill of health so thats good news..

I would def ask for a free alignment, heck even ask for two new rear tires if you are done negotiating and see what happens...

Good price though(y)... fyi..

Post pics when you pick it up :)

#6 Blizzard_Persona, Aug 2, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
    fotomoto likes this.
  7. CollinPark

CollinPark Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    thanks for the comments!
    i also have the same concerns: alignment, back tires + rental fleet (though i don't see hooligans actively seeking to rent prii)
    Hertz sells all their cars as is, so i'm fairly certain they won't entertain the idea. I'll bring it up and let you know if they bite
    I think it will probably cost ~100$ for the alignment + 300 per tire at the dealership.

the price is attractive (around ~$3000 cheaper than from the dealers in this area [it's also cheaper than most of the craigslist listings in this area by ~$2000]),

Already picked it up for the 3 day rental, I'll post pics soon
    super excited to toss an air mattress in the back and go camping

Dylan Doxey likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! there is no rear wheel alignment, so do your due diligence on that. all the best!(y)

9. Blizzard_Persona

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Could it be under inflated tires possibly?

bisco likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe, hard to picture from the choppy description.:cool:

11. CollinPark

CollinPark Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you, I've been reading prius forums for a while but decided to join to get some advice and I'm glad i did!
    I am new to cars in general... we're young profs just starting our careers, and we were hoping this could be our car for the next 5-8 years before we upgraded to something larger

they're choppy as in when I measure the tire at point of the tire it is less worn than another point on the tire..
    you can tell that english is not my forte.. if we set a reference point at 0 degrees, the tread measures x inches and if we go measure the treads at 60 degrees it measures something much lower.

12. Blizzard_Persona

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE

Sounds like cupping possibly? A result of under inflated tires...

Ask for two new ones, Tell them you don't feel safe driving off the lot like it is, If no go, ask for a discount so you can go buy new tires...

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    take it to a dealer or tyre shoppe and ask for an evaluation. if the tyres are original, it may just be the 55,000 miles.

14. Blizzard_Persona

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE

This is very true, The tires could just be at the end of their effective life span..

OP, what did the dealership that you brought it to and that gave you the thumbs up say about the tires? Either way I don't think it's a deal breaker as your getting a good deal either way..

Herts sales on Passyunk, Airport Automall? How are they to deal with? I haven't been there yet but have bought a couple cars at other dealerships at the auto mall.....

15. CollinPark

CollinPark Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    went out to view the back tires again...
    the front tires are almost new.
    the back tires are of another brand and it looks as if somebody has sandpapered a portion of the tire off.. (i assume there was a braking emergency where someone was forced to brake hard and a portion of the back tires were worn down)

its the airport dealership, the lady we dealt with was wonderful, (unfortunately they don't have a wire transfer set up so we're jumping through hoops to pay them in time [we use simple for our banking]) not to mention we don't have in-state license+ID (we thought we'd move out of state right out of college) so they're being very patient with us on all the steps

the toyota dealership told me that they'd give us until the winter to replace the back tires. I'm looking into midcitytire prices

16. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    IDK
    I was always told ..
    Son don't marry a hooker or buy a used rental car they have been abused by every guy that drove them.
    Ill add don't buy salvage titled cars either unless they are 10 cents on the dollar.

17. CollinPark

CollinPark Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    normally i'd agree
    but looked up the fuel economy in the past 6 months using the display, all months prior to Aug (wife's driving is at 40mpg) were mostly at 50MPG from the computer readout so i really don't think it was abused to hell (well not in the past 6 months at least.. and thats 6 months of the 28 months that it was active) and statistically speaking if the past 6 months were good i doubt the last 28 would have been much different

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how much would this save over a non rental?

19. sillylilwabbit

sillylilwabbit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That means your rear shocks are bad, not alignment.

The tires in the front are too new to see similar were if the front struts/shocks are bad as well.

iPhone ?

20. Blizzard_Persona

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE

Shocks bad on a 2013 w/ 55k miles???