1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Simple and "cheap" mouse-rat air intake screen...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Mike500, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    While I have had no mouse or rat intrusion into my Prius"v," I decided to ad an air intake screen.

I made it from this aluminum expanded metal "gutter strainer" that cost me $2.32 plus tax at Home Depot.

Amerimax Home Products 3 in. Aluminum Leaf Strainer-21048 at The Home Depot

To get it small enough, I used a pair of "dikes" and cut off 2-1/2 inch or so off the side end.

Then, I took off the M6 bolt with 10mm hex head that held the air intake to the car's radiator support. The guard needs to be rolled very tight to get it past the two "pop" rivet ends that intrude into the air intake's opening. Once in, the guard expands and locks itself in with the tow "pop" rivet ends.

Pushing the center of the mesh in finally expands it to fill the opening.

Cheap insurance!

Attached Files:

NakedMoleRat and fotomoto like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    looks good! but i'm not convinced the openings are small enough. maybe for rats.:cool:

burstaneurysm likes this.
  3. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    A mouse can flatten down to get through a 1/4 inch gap, but cannot get through a 1/4x1/2 inch diamond shaped hole. If it flattens itself to 1/4 inch, it will get wider than 1/2 inch.

It would be even tougher while it is hanging on the wire screen.

bisco likes this.
  4. acceleraptor

acceleraptor Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Nice. I've used the same strainers on my gutters. The air intake on my PiP seems smaller somehow than yours. Gonna have to take it out and do a better side-by-side with a strainer to see if it actually is. Mine also has vents further down the channel from the intake opening, one on top and another on bottom, each with a very simple cross "grate" of the same plastic material as the intake itself, and with a dark gray paper filter inside. I'm thinking of making some sort of wraparound grating using leaf gutter guard or 1/4" hardware cloth, although that section also has a slightly inconvenient shape.

Will post images when I get to it.

5. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Mice all over South Carolina are laughing at your idea that they will even be slowed down by your "screen". :)

Rats and Squirrels maybe but not mice.
    AND.....that is not where they get into the cabin anyway.

6. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    NOT so easy for them "Rider."

In 50 years of owning cars, I've NEVER has mouse or rat damage,

They seem to be deterred by the petroleum based rustproofing that I've used on all of my cars.

I've had my Prius"v" for over two years, and there is NO sign of them.

7. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    What does the rustproofing have to do with the large spaces in your "screen" ?
    AND.....if you really think the rustproofing is that effective, why bother with ANY screen on the intake ??
    Maybe there are no mice in the area.

8. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Who appointed you the seer from afar?

Yeah, there are NO mice or rodents in my area. I often see residue form eaten acorns on the strut towers of my other vehicle, which is a 1998 Mazda MPV. That was rustproofed 15 years, ago. The vapor has worn off.

As far as the screen is concerned, why does anyone have more than one method of defense?

9. GrGramps

GrGramps Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Last year I bought the exact screen that is shown above and when I got home I realized how foolish my idea was. A mouse could easily chew through the aluminum screen as it is so soft. I returned it and used stainless steel from a strainer. (This was for my Tacoma)