1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Simple, cheap "emergency" light -- headlamp?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by cyberpriusII, Mar 6, 2014.

1. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The dollar store flashlight with the non-replaceable battery that I threw in my Prius about a year ago has died.

Thinking about the issue, I thought that a headlamp, such as the $90 model that I use in my work would be a good solution, since I think it would be easier to do things such as changing a tire, looking under the hood, etc.

If any of you have ever tried to juggle a flashlight, tools, etc., you know what I mean.

But, come on, really...I did not want to spend $70-$100 on a light that sits in the car and maybe never be used.

I cast about a bit and found a cheapo that gets great reviews. Five dollars....even better....ordered it online to "ship to store" for free from Walmart.

Has great online reviews and the limited testing I have done for the past several days seems to support those raves. Nothing I would want to trust if I was out hiking cross-country on a dark March night, but for an emergency light for the Prius it seems a good deal.

Energizer Trailfinder LED Headlight Model: HDL2BODBP

$4.88 at Walmart. Ships free to your local store or selected FedEx stores.

2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The problem with battery flashlights is the potential that the flashlight sits without use to the point that the battery power declines.

I'll admit that even with easily replaceable common battery flashlights in usage applications like "in the car" in my personal case they tend to get stored and ignored...to my potential detriment.

But like you, I don't necessarily want to spend a whole lot of money for the "perfect" answer.

My compromise is I keep two battery powered lights in my glove..both smaller. I try to remember to test them occasionally and replace batteries if necessary.

My "perfect" answer is a smaller emergency lantern I keep in the hatch under storage area. Admittedly, I think I got a good deal on it, finding on a discount table after Christmas several years back. But it was less than $20, has a hand crankable energy source, LED lantern light...as well as a radio and emergency flashers if needed. At least then...I have some source that isn't necessarily tied to my being attentive to battery replacement.

I use to have a headlamp...almost like a search light..that you could plug into the ac socket of an automobile. It was nice too.