1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Simple NAV question

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by seffros, Jul 9, 2009.

1. seffros

seffros Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    New 2010 GIII/V w Nav. I'm used to Garmin, wading through 300+ page instruction book for the new Nav... the map has a large, easy to read banner showing the road I am on... that I know. The Garmin has a banner showing the next road coming up...much more useful to me, even if the map has all the road names, or at least most of them in smaller type on the map itself. Is there any way to get that banner to show the upcoming road instead of the road you are on? Thanks.

2. nola_Prius

nola_Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ugh.
    I too will be transitioning from my beloved Garmin to the nav in my Prius when I get it. I'm hoping it won't be too much of a step down.
    As for changing that setting, I have no idea, but would like to know...

3. drbrr

drbrr New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

I know that it's a bit simplistic, but didn't you get the DVD with your owner's stuff? If not, there are great videos on the web that walk you through all this. Short answer, yes, you can set up different kinds of maps on your screen, and in fact have two up at once, or one map on half the screen, and written instructions for the next several streets ahead on the other. It's all in what you want to see. When you watch the video, it makes it easy to do. Quite helpful.

4. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    There is a screen setup called, I think, 'Turn List" which will divide the screen into two, right down the middle. In this mode, once you have a destination programmed, you will see on the one side of the screen all the upcoming maneuvers, and street names, plus distance to each.

COme to think of it, if you have a destination programmed at all, it will not only display the next street, but read it's name aloud. Is this what you mean?

5. RMulligan

RMulligan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Only the first 119 pages are dedicated to the Navigation system. The rest of the 300 page manual covers the Telephone, Audio & Advanced Parking Guidance System. So the title is a little misleading.

The only way I could get surrounding street names is to play with the zoom buttons +/- on the map. But that doesn't always work. When you are on the freeway you can use the Dual Map mode and it will list the upcoming 3 or 4 exits. See pg. 39 for details. I hope this helps.

6. CAR4TWO

CAR4TWO New Member

Model:
    III
    We used our Nav all day today. We have the screen split down the middle, touch the white on the screen and select a second screen. You want the left side set at 300 feet so you can see the street you are on and all the cross streets. The screen on the right is also a moving map but zoom out to 1/2 mile so you can see what the road is doing way out ahead of you. Your next turn will show on that second screen. It works like a charm. I actually like the verbal directions better than our Garmin Nuvi and I'm a big Garman fan flying with a Garmin 296.

The one thing I like about our Prius Nav system is that if you make a wrong turn, she doesn't say, "Recalculating." She just quietly redraws your route with new calm verbal instructions. It also calculates your route faster than Garmin. My wife pointed that out today.

1 person likes this.
  7. seffros

seffros Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

I guess I didn't make myself clear enough. Yes, I know you can split the screen and have instructions for destinations on one side. That's not what I am trying to do. It's when I DON'T have a destination plugged in, when I am just driving with the screen showing where I am, with the Garmin it highlights the next street I am approaching. With the Prius Nav system it only seems to highlight.. or "banner", the street I am on. I'd like it the other way. By the way, if there are "great videos", would you mind letting us know where they are? Thanks

8. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't believe this is possible on surface streets. This is a "feature" on freeways though where off-ramps along w/ nearby POI icons can be shown.

9. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Class Clown

Silicon Valley, CA --- Land of Fruits & Nuts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    $ 1800 is a lot to pay for an internal GPS Nav these days. A few years ago when GPS was new to automobiles, I could understand paying a premium price, but not any more.

Here in the U.S., you get the most for your money with an external Garmin Nuvi.

Keith