1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sirius/XM Radio renewal - cancel auto renewal

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by jdcollins5, Nov 3, 2014.

1. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My annual XM Radio renewal snuck up on me being the first of the month. I was checking my online bank account and saw the pending charge for the full $195. I immediately called XM Cancellation Department to cancel at full charge. I wasn't for sure after the auto renewal that they would reduce the annual fee.

No problem. I was immediately offered my ongoing half-price rate at $89 plus fees and taxes of about $95.

I love my XM radio at this price ! Good for another year.

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I've mentioned this before in other XM renewal threads but I always put a one year recurring appointment in my phone for about a week before my auto renewal date, including in the appointment the number to call. That way, every year when the alert goes off I call the number and tell them I would like to cancel unless they can renew me at the promo rate to avoid problems. I've never had a problem getting the rate for another year.

3. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Good plan.

I have a reminder on my home PC for a couple of days but have been out of town. I need to make the reminder a week ahead like you do !

4. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I did the same thing, but I got them down to $85.00, What a P.I.A.! I also went through the same crap with Norton $179. renewal for 1 computer, NO, I went to Amazon, found same product, 1 disk 3 computers $29 bucks, I bought 3, and all 9 of the household computers are protected! All for $90 bucks! Ten bucks a computer!

5. sfprankster

sfprankster Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Where I live, XM has reception only 40-60% of time. Since I'm on the 3 month free trial, the sales rep called and we discussed the amount of time the system worked in the mountains and they offered a monthly rate of $4.95.

6. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    They generally always have a 3 or 6 month plan that comes out to less than the $95 a year plan with taxes but you have to play the call them game every 6 months instead of just once a year.

If the $4.95 a month rate they offered you is a locked rate without having to call to keep getting it, that's pretty nice though having a roughly 50% reception rate kinda negates wanting it at all IMO.

7. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Paradox, how often have you done this? I've heard from some who were able to do that twice and then XM called their bluff.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I won't deal with this company. I was told unequivocally I would not be auto-renewed. Then when expiration rolled around they attempted to do just that anyway, and the only impediment was my credit card number had changed. Just don't want to deal them, too oily, too much nonsense. Up here reception's very spotty, anyway.

Sadly, it's becoming the norm though.

9. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

4 maybe 5 times now...

10. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Same here, this is my 5th year at 1/2 price.

11. RaZa

RaZa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I've called them, even signed up for emails etc... They've never once shown any interest in giving me any kind of deal to keep my xm account going. I had a 6 month trial when I bought the car new, after that they basically just blew me off. Ok whatever.

12. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I do not deal with the Customer Service Department as they are a waste of time. The trick is to go to the Cancellation Department just prior to your renewal date and let them know that you will cancel at the full price but would be interested in a discounted price. I have asked for the half-price option each year and have never had any problem getting it.

From my dealings the Customer Service Department it is in a foreign land and the reps do not speak good English. They show no care for the customer. On the other hand, my calls to the Cancellation Department have been in the States and the reps have always been very friendly and seemed to care about servicing your needs.

13. VicVinegar

VicVinegar Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I did it for about 4 years with two cars. One time the guy tried to stonewall me saying you can't do back to back promos. I said Ok, called back in and spoke to someone else who gave it to me no problem.

I did cancel both at the end of September. Call me a knuckle dragged, but I liked Opie and Anthony and the new show isn't good. So I'm trying no sat radio for now. I might go back for music. While there are plenty of streaming services, trying to navigate Spotify while driving is not a good idea. Head unit integration is key.

14. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    As long as we travel cross-country at least twice a year like we do now, SiriusXM will probably be in our future. It was so nice on our first trip back in September to not have to constantly search for channels compared to previous trips. And not have to settle on whatever we could find. During the trip, we got hooked on Phlash Phelps (60's On 6), The Highway (58) and even Blue Collar Radio (97). It was also nice to have the news at our fingertips. Is it worth full price for Select @ $15/mo? Probably not, but I guess I'd give up our Verizon Jetpack before SiriusXM. So far we haven't experienced a serious lack of reception except for some canyons in Montana/Wyoming and forests in Northern Wisconsin.​

15. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Then make sure it isn't a bluff.

Whether through cancellation or suspension, I have service shut down each winter, outside of my normal road trip season for that car. I just don't listen to it enough when driving closer to home to make it worthwhile year round, even at half price. So they already know I'm not bluffing.

16. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    And I can probably do that as long as I'm not on the road. I guess when it comes up for renewal, I'll just call to cancel and see what happens. Trouble is I think it's worth full price. :)

17. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Pretty sad that XMNavTraffic (just traffic, no SAT radio) cost more than that up here.

18. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    How much is SAT radio ?

19. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Basic: Sirius Select - SiriusXM
    All-Access" Sirius All Access - SiriusXM

$175-$242 plus applicable taxes. Traffic is $4.99/month++ with SAT radio. On its own, it's $11.99/month++.

There's a $30 activation fee.

20. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Can you get half-price discounts by negotiating with Cancellation Dept.?