1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SirusXM Radio Limitation

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by SKrueger, Mar 29, 2012.

1. SKrueger

SKrueger New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    So what's the deal with the channel limitation on the SirusXM radio in the PIP. It seems it can only access channel numbers up to 222 and I see no way to enter or access channel numbers in the 300's and 500's. Am I missing something or are the radios crippled?

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My guess would be that the 90-day introductory package is only the basic package, that is unless you have changed this to a full subscription. For the upper channels you may need to pay for an upper tier package.

3. SKrueger

SKrueger New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Actually with the PIP Advance model you get 3 years of the Select Package. It's not that the channels are not active, as far as I can determine the unit cannot even physically change to channels above 222.

4. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Where did you get 3 years from? The Toyota website says 3 months.
    2012 Toyota Prius Plug-in Hybrid Models and click Interior:

5. SKrueger

SKrueger New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Must have been confusing it with the XM data services which are 3 years. However that still doesn't explain the physical limitations of the unit.

6. ClaySacramento

ClaySacramento Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Based on the channel lineup at http://www.siriusxm.com/pdf/channel_guide.pdf it does not appear that there are any channels over 222 available via satellite as part of the XM Select package. 225-239 are only avaialble with the XM Premier package, and 310 and above are only available with SiriusXM Internet Radio (on a computer or smartphone).

7. SKrueger

SKrueger New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Well I think I know what the issue is and that is that it is not really a SiriusXM radio. I was speaking with the SiriusXM rep and there are 3 types of radios. XM, Sirius, and SiriusXM. Apparently the radio in the PIP is only a XM radio and not a SiriusXM radio.

8. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have wondered why the dash beneath the display says simply "XM" and doesn't mention Sirius. I thought they were one and the same now.:confused:

9. SKrueger

SKrueger New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    They are one company now but still operating 2 separate satellite networks. That's why there are now 3 types of radios. 2-Single network units and 1-Combined network unit. I think Toyota's wording in their product description is deceptive altho' I'm sure not intentionally.

10. ClaySacramento

ClaySacramento Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    SiriusXM is now one company, but some of the satellites they operate were formerly XM and the others were formerly Sirius, and the channel line up for each are slightly different. Car manufactures choose to install radios compatible with one or the other - most stick the one they were using prior to Sirius and XM merging. You can see which one is available in each car model here:

Vehicle Availability - SiriusXM Radio

Subaru is the only one on this list that listed "SiriusXM" for some older model years, but I think even then you had to pick either Sirius or XM to be installed. I don't think any cars currently being sold include factory radios let you select from both the Sirius and XM lineups.

11. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It's not explicitly listed on Toyota's website, but I think XM data services is also 3 months b/c it goes with the SiriusXM Satellite Radio trial. 3 years is for Safety Connect and Entune Apps (including Hybrid Apps).