1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

skid control ecu

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by n00bz, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Fbpk likes this.
  2. Fbpk

Fbpk New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

3. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The skid control ECU should be in the dash board above and in front of the brake pedal.

4. Fbpk

Fbpk New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks , I bought that from ebay in 100£ today.

5. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Are you fitting it your self or local garage.

6. Fbpk

Fbpk New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Local garages have refused to do so , will take it to Toyota garage, which is gonna charge much again.:eek:

7. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Well they should not charge you more than 2hrs labor, can probably be done in one hour so with luck you will still be £1650 or there about's better off than your first price. A pity your local garage will not touch it. Have you checked to see if there are any auto electricians in your area that might do the job?

John (Britprius)

8. Fbpk

Fbpk New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I have checked with few, they say only Toyota has computers which are specifically for Toyota and can program it accordingly. :rolleyes:

9. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    As far as I am aware it's a plug and play unit I do not think it requires programming. I will see what I can find out.

John (Britprius)

10. Fbpk

Fbpk New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sure, I shall be thankful if it is that simple.

11. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sorry for the delay getting back. From what I can find out "and I know this will sound vague" you may not have to program the replacement ECU. Speaking to a friend that has done this and had no problems, but I cannot guaranty this. It may be that a new unit is not programmed or it could be due to system tuning. However no damage can be done by fitting a unit and trying it. The ECU cannot be programmed till it is fitted anyway.

John.

12. Fbpk

Fbpk New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you,
    I have booked appointment with Toyota Jemca, @ 132 £ per hour, and they said it will take an hour to fit and program if required. Fingers crossed !

13. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Good luck and let us all know how things work out.
    It is only by people passing on information and the results that allow forums like PC to work and the pool of knowledge to grow.

At leased you should be making a considerable saving on the normal dealer price.

John (Britprius).

14. Fbpk

Fbpk New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello John,
    Unfortunately installing other skid unit dint work, toyota gemca asked me that MAY be skid unit ecu I provided was not functioning alright as they dont have any way to check whether its working or not. Then they said.. May be its because of some problem in Wires to gear box OR something wrong with Skid unit relay. To figure this out I need to pay cost of 4-5 hours of labor @ 130£ per hour...one more interesting thing,they said Even if they would have used the New part and it dint work, I had to pay 1900£ still. Now they suggested me to try Relay change first, then wiring, then going for a BRAND NEW skid unit. I am really confused and frustrated as I have spent 320£ with No results at all.
    I went through other forum and followed the procedure to check battery at Weird stuff happening? MPGs dropping? Test The Battery | PriusChat

and found problem in my battery.
    This problem started when I left my car unattended for a month in November to Dec in London and temp was very low. Battery was flat when I returned and I jump started it instead of changing the battery.
    Results for battery are
    1- Battery 11.9v , IG off
    2-Battery 11.3v, IG on
    3-Battery 14.1v, IG on, PKB ON.
    Any suggestions?

15. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Problems with the 12V battery can lead to many errors, ones just like you have been seeing, and are the most common failure mode that is seen here on PC. I don't know when yours was replaced last, but those numbers indicate a weak battery. I would not do anything else until that is changed, or at least swapped with a known good one that can be used for a test. Toyota dealers are not informed sufficiently to know how to test the battery in this case. I think the braking system draws some heavy current upon start up, and random brake error codes are the result if the voltage dips too low. Toyota techs can be fooled by that, as has been reported here before, leading to random ECU replacements, guessing games, etc.

16. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Fbpk sorry to hear of your continuing problem with the ECU exchange making no difference.

The next logical step would be to change the skid control relay. I cannot believe that the ECU you have bought would be faulty "a very big coincidence".

It seems that the dealers have no clue as to what they are doing and although the system is complicated they should have the equipment and knowledge to deal with this without doing another 5hrs of investigation as they have direct access to Toyota technical support department.

I would get in touch with Toyota UK and explain the situation given the safety implications to see if they could speed the process without just throwing money and parts at the problem at your expense.

John (Britprius)

17. Fbpk

Fbpk New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I shall be thankful for your help.

18. chavezone

chavezone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What was your outcome, an update sure would be nice.

19. Sam Da Silva

Sam Da Silva New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two

20. Sam Da Silva

Sam Da Silva New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Dear Mr John

My problem is very similar I went through this post. I have a skid control ECU malfunction error code C1300 and wants to replace ECU I have seen many in ebay part code 89540 some toyotas said this is the part no but Gem car said that you need to get 89540 47120 which not in e bay
    do you think 89540 which suit for me

Thank you,

Kind Regards