1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Slight jerky/notchy feeling in steering wheel

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Former Member 68813, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    while taking turns at slow speeds, but only sometimes. Can't reproduce by turning wheel when not in motion. My 3yers/36,000 miles warranty expires soon. How do I prove I have a potential problem?

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Any way to video it with cell phone while it is happening? This seems to work for other problems.

3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you necessarily have to prove it?
    I'd take it to the dealership, have a tech ride with you, and hopefully it would demonstrate.
    Maybe it will happen, or the problem will be identifiable and fixable, while you're still under warranty.

If it can't be duplicated or the dealership refuses to recognize a problem, at least get your concern and the symptoms documented and documented as happening before your warranty expired.

Steering is such a clear safety issue, I'd think any competent service department would be highly motivated to help you track the problem down.

Good Luck.

4. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Have you checked to see if the steering column cover is warped in any way? I've noticed that the cover can sometimes rub against other trim pieces and potentially cause the issue you describe.

iPhone ? - now Free

5. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure how that would produce the jerky sensation in the wheel, but I'll check. The thing is I cannot duplicate it anymore.

6. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Perhaps jerky isn't the word, but under certain conditions, it would feel as though the steering wheel was "rubbing" against something.