1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Slight Noise From Left Front Wheel After Side Impact w/ Curb

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by ZBrink, Jan 28, 2015.

1. ZBrink

ZBrink Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I slid into a curb, sideways at about 15 mph during a snow/ice storm a few nights ago. I hit the curb hard enough to completely destroy the left front alloy wheel (sheared half of the lip right off) leaving the tire of course flat. I immediately stopped the vehicle. I then changed out to the spare and bought a perfectly straight used wheel from a salvage yard. I was able to reuse and remount the original tire on the "new" wheel as a local tire shop said it was fine.

When above 20 mph, I hear almost like a mild whooshing coming from the left front wheel area. It does not get particularly louder the higher the speed I travel nor does it's sequence match the rotations of the tire per say. I also feel an ever so slight/faint vibration in the floor board but other passengers don't notice this even after I tell them. The vehicle handles and rides perfectly fine.

Ideas??

Thanks!
    Zack

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    swap it to the right, and see if the sound moves. if it does, it's either the tyre or wheel. if it doesn't, it could be the hub, the cv joint, the axle, hopefully not any further in than that.

3. alekska

alekska Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Several possibilities:
    1) wheel bearing is damaged
    2) steering link and/or strut is bent
    3) differential bearing and/or driveshaft is damaged

Alex

KK6PD likes this.
  4. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Have someone drive along side and see if you have wheel wobble. Years ago I kissed a curb backwards and bent the axle. the wheel wobbled slightly, I knew it was shot. Went to auto yards yard, unbolted a axle from same year and model, paid $25 for it, slipped it into my truck. Problem solved.
    You mentioned the wheel was destroyed. Either the replacement wheel is defective, which I really don't believe, but your axle is slightly bent. It's gonna screw with any tire you put on, might as well bite the bullet and at least have it checked out by some competent, your preference, see what's up. Wobbly wheels really suck! Been there, fixed that!

GrGramps likes this.
  5. ZBrink

ZBrink Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    A local shop "believes" it is the wheel bearing at $600 parts and labor but they are not positive. As of right now it drives and handles perfectly fine. I don't think it is the "new" wheel as it made the same noise when driving the 30 miles on the donut tire to go and pickup the replacement wheel.

If it was a bent steering link and/or strut or a damaged differential bearing and/or driveshaft, would the car not handle/drive accelerate different from normal?

6. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The bearing is a good guess, or possibly a CV joint. Alignment may need to be checked in case something got bent, although that probably isn't causing the noise.

7. ZBrink

ZBrink Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well guys, it was in fact the left front wheel bearing. I had a local man replace it at my house yesterday and all of the noises and mild vibrations have gone away.

I ordered the part from Rock Auto. The brand was SKF and it has a 36 month/45k mile warranty for $204.79. It is definitely a quality item and solid alternative to buying a part from Toyota.

alekska likes this.
  8. alekska

alekska Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks for coming back to update!

- Alex