1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Slightly shaking engine and rattling noise on acceleration

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by MeGuinness, Jul 7, 2016.

1. MeGuinness

MeGuinness Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Slightly shaking engine and rattling noise on acceleration,it happens when the car is hot and especially when the battery level is very low ,I guess is when as more load .
    If I accelerate and keep it steady at 20mph I can feel a constant vibration but goes away once accelerating more....like if you're driving on a rippled surface ....that is only when engine is on , doesn't happen on electric only.
    The noise it sound like a tapping coming from the engine when slowly accelerating from 0 that goes away as soon I give more gas ,is annoying wile in the traffic.
    Ideas,? Can the sparks plugs be the problem?they been changed 120k ago.....,I cleaned the egv pipe but problem still there.
    Like I said is only when the engine is up to running temperature.
    Not sure but the noise may be coming from the tranx?
    Thanx

#1 MeGuinness, Jul 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
    Raulo999 and thechadster like this.
  2. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    120K on spark plugs causing engine shaking.....yes, change them.

Here's a guess.....shaking and rattle upon acceleration...check your engine and transmission mounts.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on her?

4. MeGuinness

MeGuinness Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The girl as 174k on her shoes lol

bisco likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There's a EGR valve and cooler upstream of the pipe; they're reportedly prone to clog as miles accumulate. The cooler is hooked up to coolant hoses, and access is awkward. One guy here attempted to clean, then threw in the towel and replaced it with a lower milage one, bought on eBay I think.

Another possibility: valve clearance? They're hydraulically adjusted, supposed to be optimum all the time but maybe that can go off? Never heard of it though.

Definitely change the plugs first. You're in for a real treat if you DIY, see @NutzAboutBolts video on the subject, it's stickied in 3rd gen maintenance section. Only caveat: I'd torque to 15ft/lb with dry threads (per repair manual), or 13 if using anti seize. Use it sparingly.

amos and hotelprisoner like this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    someone changed the plugs at 50k?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. MeGuinness

MeGuinness Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Spark Plugs on the way ....and yes it looks fun replacing them ,
    This is what cleaned few days ago and yes was clogged

Attached Files:

8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's not too bad. There tends to be more build up right at the flange. I'm not sure of an easy way to assess the EGR cooler condition, short of disconnecting coolant lines and pulling it out. I believe if it's near totally clog there'll be a warning light and code.

Start with the plugs, lol. Again, you'll want to watch that video if you haven't done it before.

9. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    First time poster but someone who has pulled the egr valve and cooler. Easiest way to see cooler condition would be to disconnect the egr valve from the cooler. You can then pull and inspect the upstream end (before the valve). Mine had a fair bit of carbon deposits. If there is build-up there, you know what will be on the fins of the egr cooler. Did this at 125k when I was getting slight hesitation and rough transition between engines. Been running for 10k

Mendel Leisk and bisco like this.
  10. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    And better engine response. Also pulled intake manifold and cleaned the passages. Quite involved but noticeable improvement.

amos and Mendel Leisk like this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome, and thank you!(y)

12. MeGuinness

MeGuinness Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  13. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Listened to the video. Sounds like rough transition. Some questions:
    1) this was recorded while coming from a stop out of a corner. Do you notice this on a straight stretch from a stop sign? Same sound when you are cornering at a higher speed, say on an exit ramp?
    2) since you have 174k on her, what maintenance have you done on the intake side? MAF sensor cleaning? Throttle body cleaning? Air filters in good condition?
    3)couldn't tell from the egr pipe how much deposit was present, but did you look into the intake manifold while you had the pipe off to assess condition? Some have found this to be somewhat gummy, but it can also be dry and caked with deposits.

While you wait for the plugs, I would clean the MAF and throttle body if not already done. There are videos pinned That show how to do that and both are easy to do.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm hearing two sounds there, are they both pertinent?

15. MeGuinness

MeGuinness Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    1)yes same noise when from stop to a stretch....no noise on high speed!

2)air filter (one) is new, cleaned the the EGV pipe... it was dry carbon ..alot more half way thru to the point that once I inserted a small brush it completely clogged...water could not get thru easily,dry carbon in the intake hole too.
    while the air filter component was out I cleaned the throttle flap,not touched intake manifold other then with the small brush,
    MAF sensor????don't know the location,

Overdo for oil changing do to the stuck oil filter(waiting for spare oil filter housing just in case the current one will brake when applying brute force lol later in the week), and I have a set of new droop links to fit just in case the rollbar got to do anything with the noise maybe???
    MAF sensor ....I will look in the pinned posts

PS when car is cold this doesn't happen,it starts when the engine is hot!

#15 MeGuinness, Jul 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
  16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    From your description of the EGR pipe I'd anticipate the EGR cooler would be similarly clogged or worse. No warning lights though.

Forgot about your stuck oil filter, great fun eh?

The Mass Air Flow sensor is readily accessible, kinda fragile. I'm low mileage, never touched ours. There's a specific fluid for cleaning, don't use carb cleaner.

MAF is right in the middle here:

image.jpeg

#16 Mendel Leisk, Jul 9, 2016
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  17. MeGuinness

MeGuinness Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    On my way to buy some MAF cleaner.....gosh doesn't sound that good sayingit at loud

I assume the cleaner is just a can of electrical spray cleaner??

#17 MeGuinness, Jul 9, 2016
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  18. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I suspect that the carbon deposits are choking air flow leading to rough ice performance. You might not see it when the ice is cool, but probably due to it idling. The egr cooler is a royal pain to remove (one of Toyota's best designs ) but doable as a 2 person job. How long have you noticed the rattle / noise? The intake manifold removal is by far easier and a 1 person job. Both require some prep (gaskets, pcv valve as it is a lot easier to access from above), but the intake manifold removal / cleaning can be done in about 2 hours ( I am a weekend wrencher and do a lot of inspections when performing surgery So I work slow and methodical). The ports on the intake are poorly designed and their inlet is on the lower side of the port inlets. They redesigned the manifold in 2012(?) but I have the 2010 and when I pulled it off and ran compressed air through it, there was noticeable resistance of flow through the egr openings. A brush through these will help with air flow if you are going to do the thorough intake manifold work. Start with the MAF cleaning and spark plugs, but I would suspect more work on the intake side will be needed.

amos likes this.
  19. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If you go to o'reillys or Napa, it is labeled as MAF cleaner. You can ask at the counter and they will point you in the right direction. Sorry to hear about the oil filter. Change it yourself or do you allow a local dealer to change it?

20. MeGuinness

MeGuinness Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My self ,but I resorted to go to a garage ...they cannot pull it out ....so before they get savage on it they suggested me to get a new filter housing just in case due to previous experience with Toyota cars...lol ,

Mendel Leisk likes this.