1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Slip Indicator blink when hit pothole

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by FireAce, Nov 26, 2013.

1. FireAce

FireAce New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone, I just have my 2013 Prius C3 for two months and few days back I noticed that the Slip Indicator light blink a few time when I went through pot hole/uneven road (low speed, ~20mph). In the same time, I can hear as if there is a piece of metal sheet somewhere in the car vibrated. Is this normal?

Thanks for the help

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The Slip Indicator is normal. When your tire hit the pothole or uneven surface it lost traction. The Slip Indicator just reported this loss of traction.

Don't know about the metal vibration.

3. FireAce

FireAce New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. Anyone who hear anything like a metal sheet vibration after hit a pothole? sounds like resonance or something similar..

4. grizdogg

grizdogg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Could it have been the ABS as part of the traction control?

5. Mo G

Mo G Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Its the abs that vibrates. It's not cool when the slip indicator is on and you try to brake, and the car won't apply them. The brake pedal goes mushy for a half-second.

6. FireAce

FireAce New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the answer :). It's a relief that nothing is wrong with my PC. Btw, most of the time is I step the brake to slow down, then hit a pot hole. Not the other way round. ;)

Mo G likes this.
  7. Mo G

Mo G Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Usually I don't hit pot holes, but here in Houston they sneek up on you. For instance last night, after making a right turn BAM! Pot hole mid turn. And then natural reaction after the bump is to apply the brake.

8. grizdogg

grizdogg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Ah, here in the north you either watch out for the potholes or go fast enough you don't feel them.

Mo G likes this.
  9. FireAce

FireAce New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    So, did you hear any metal vibrating sounds under the dash? or the sound is muted by your loud voice cursing the local council. :LOL:

10. Mo G

Mo G Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Lol, I heard metal vibration coming from under the dash. Usually more sound from the side that hit the pot hole.

11. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    It's kind of a spring "doinnnnng!" sound to me, but a relatively low pitch one... I wouldn't think of it as a metal sheet sound.

There are so many holes and bumps in Sydney roads that I have this at least every other week... in fact even at home there's a drainage grate at the bottom of the ramp into the carpark that seems to have a habit of setting it off. Note I'm pretty sure I've done it with my foot off the pedal (ie. only regen brakes operative).