1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Slow charge on my iPhone 5

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by WolfpackBill, Aug 16, 2014.

1. WolfpackBill

WolfpackBill Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2010 IV with JBL navigation system and I have a 50-minute drive home from work everyday and when I leave work, my phone usually shows 25% battery life remaining. When I get to my car, I plug it into the USB port so I can use it as my iPod and charge it up. By the time I get home 50 minutes or so later, I'm only up to 35% sometimes 40%. I don't every use my phone as I drive because I always place my phone in the center console and almost no data being transmitted. There're times where I used a charger that plugs into the power port beside the USB port and charge my phone instead and just listen to XM.

Anyone has that problem or is it just the equipment with a low amperage port?

2. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I could be wrong, but my understanding is that most USB ports (laptops, tablets, etc.) don't put out enough power to do the "quick" charge you get using the AC adapter at home or the power port charger. My phone came with a slow charge adapter and I paid a little extra to get the quick charge adapter. YMMV

xpcman likes this.
  3. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes, the USB port is slow to charge. I have the same results when recharging my iPad.

From your avatar I assume the Wolfpack is a reference to NC State? If so, hello to a fellow NC and Wolfpack member.

WolfpackBill likes this.
  4. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This.

I've co-opted my iPad charger for my iPhone because it takes less time. When I had my iPad at work, I left it plugged into the USB of the PC overnight to charge.

The good thing is that if you do plug up your iPhone while driving, it will charge while turned on. That's better than nothing. An iPad only charges on a USB's output if you click the power button to put it into sleep mode.

5. Bullet Salvador

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    It's simple, USB charging units are rather 1.1 amp (usually charges phones) or 2.1 amp (usually charges tablets).

If you want it to charge faster try getting a 2.1 amp charger versus using the USB. =)

6. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    We are talking about the USB port in the car.