1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Slow Poke Prius On Nitrogen!

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by AshooraPrius, Nov 7, 2014.

1. AshooraPrius

AshooraPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't know about you all, but I'm quickly adjusting to driving my slow Prius. I'm used to driving a Sporty Mercedez Benz with AMG so this was confusing at first when trying to learn how to drive a much slower car.
    Now that I'm comfortable with the speed, I have tried jumping on the gas while in POWER mode and have caught myself saying words outlaid over what the Prius is capable of! It is fast and it does well. Once in POWER mode, though it has NO problem guzzling your gas. As I've mentioned in my very first post, I use POWER to jump into traffic only because people here in the big city don't share the roads- you have to snatch it from them. That's life here anyways and I'm used to it.

I also want to mention some things... My Dad was confused with how a Prius is powered. First, it's a Hybrid and it's runs on gas and then electricity from the battery pack. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

I am waiting for the time I can enjoy laying in the back of my Prius and doing my college work on my laptop.
    Have any of you ever laid the back seats down and turned that entire area into a surface for lying on?

Oh my, Sunday night I'm having those cloth seats switched out to leather. I do not like the cloth. My back hurts and I don't have back problems! Those seats have gotta go, man. /: Are the leather seats a little more plushier (if that's even a word!)?

Goodnight!!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm averaging 23 mph, good night!:)

3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The leather won't help your back, you need a lumbar support pillow. The 2015 power seat versions have it built in.

You will find a lot more information in the Generation III section of forum. The is the Prius v Wagon section.
    Gen III (2010+) Toyota Prius Forums | PriusChat

Your battery is charged with a built in generator sometimes run by the gas engine, by the wheels when going downhill and when applying the brakes. When braking or going downhill, the generator is helping to slow the car by creating electricity for the battery. It is a complicated system to understand but it works well.

This 2015 Prius literature may help: http://www.toyota.com/prius/ebrochure/

#3 rjparker, Nov 7, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  4. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Power mode doesn't add power, it just makes the gas pedal feel more responsive. Floor it in Eco and you'll get the same amount of power.
    All the energy ultimately comes from gasoline.

5. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's depends on how you drive, I typically avg 478 +/- 2 MPG. Winter gas just sux! I ease my may into traffic, you need to learn to Hypermile, as a new owner it's something learned, and keep the button on ECO! Tell your dad, it's a Hybrid, you , if you have learned to Hypermile, will use both battery and gas, gas only, battery only, or none of the above, and still keep forward motion. When you can learn what to do when, you should hit 50mpg in your car. If you don't expect about 35 ish!

6. AshooraPrius

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was actually thinking I need to go straight to Tj Maxx and buy a cute pillow for my back. I don't have back issues in my 2013 Benz C250, but then again it has electric seats... The seats aren't the best for my back in my Prius.

Thanks for explaining the battery concept. It drives me nuts when it would rather slow down versus maintain the same speed.

7. AshooraPrius

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hypermiling is my weakness right now. It def. is a learned skill! I mostly use POWER to jump into traffic off the ramp. If I need to get around someone I will use it too. I would say 90% of the time it's on ECO. I am constantly watching those bars that show me how many mpg I'm getting based on the way I'm driving. If I step on the gas, obviously it goes down to Zero. If I'm very subtle with my foot, it stays around 50 mpg.