1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smallest shark fin antenna that doesn't compromise reception?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by talkin73, Sep 22, 2014.

1. talkin73

talkin73 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I ordered the one from PriusChat but found it to be much larger than I expected, particularly given the diminutive size of the car and the size of most shark fin antennas on other cars out there. Is there a consensus or doesn't anyone have a recommendation on a smaller shark fin antenna that doesn't degrade reception? Thanks.

2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to Prius Chat.
    I am way out-of-date on it, but we like the Prius Chat one.
    I don't know if any Shark Fin will be as good as the as orig on the car asfar as distant station reception.

3. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    I used the shark fin and my FM reception is much lower than using the OEM antenna assembly. It's a great look but I was sacrificing my already marginal reception.

4. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    From what I understand, the shark fin antenna mounts over the OEM antenna mount. The shark fin antenna can never be smaller than the OEM antenna base. That being said, in order to get a smaller fin, you'd have to replace the antenna mount. Since you questioned the reception, does the shark fin antenna on PC shop degrade reception?

5. nugimon

nugimon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    The sharkfin sold on priuschat, will that fit on a 2015 Prius Persona? The site probably needs a bit of updating since I can't even select 2015 as my car in my profile. Thanks

6. talkin73

talkin73 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Looks like reviews online vary regarding reception. But, to my eyes it seems it's HUGE compared to other contemporary shark fins on the market. I'm returning it as additional research post-purchase wasn't reassuring. The size is unnecessarily large and much bigger overall than the footprint of the OEM antenna mount. No idea why they made it that big but it's like a huge nose on an already petite person, just stands out even more than it already would otherwise. Disclaimer: No offense intended to people that have huge noses, are petite, or both.