1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smart Key not working

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by vg_iiml, Dec 29, 2011.

1. vg_iiml

vg_iiml New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a Prius i-Tech 2007. I had gone overseas and came back after 2 weeks. On return, the smart key just didn't work. It didn't open the door...I took out the mechanical key and opened the door. Then I instered the key in the key slot and tried to start the car but it just didnt react at all. Anyone knows the reason for it or any suggestions to start the car, please let know asap...Thanks

2. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Your 12V battery is dead.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep. You don't need the smart key system to be working or even the battery in the fob to be working to start the car with the key in the slot. So if the car won't start with the key in the slot then it's not a problem with the key, it means the car has no power. Jump start the car (the connections are under the hood/bonnet--but the 12V battery itself is in the back of the car) and drive it for a while and you should be good to go.

You will probably have to reset the auto-window up/down and probably reprogram a few presets, but otherwise things should work normally. If the battery was fairly old (more than 3-4 years) it should probably be replaced.

4. jomak123

jomak123 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Could be a dead 2032 fob battery. open the fob up (slide the key release switch and pull up , this should release the the fob into 2 pieces). Now unscrew the four screws and change the battery.

Also note if you did leave the Key button on (pushed out) it will drain the 12V battery. Key button located at bottom of the dash by peddles.