1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smart Key replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by digital_griffin, Jul 28, 2010.

1. digital_griffin

digital_griffin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The dealer wants to charge $300 to add a new smart key. ($250 for key for $40 for program + other fees)

My wife saw they had them on eBay for $50.

The dealer said they would program it for $40, BUT

1. Will it start the car?
    2. Will it unlock the car?

2. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    1. Yes, it will start the car. You can register the "plug in the dash" function yourself without even seeing the dealer.

2. Get a $2 copy of your mechanical key at anyplace keys are made. It will allow you to lock/unlock the door.

I'd be really surprised if they would make the buttons or proximity functions work for $40. Ask them how much they charge for a "Smart Code Reset". It is required for used keyfobs, but not for new ones.

Another concern is that 2004 (2005?) keyfobs cannot be registered on 2006-2009 vehicles, even with the reset. I don't know of any way to identify a 2004/2005 keyfob, outside of the vendor honestly reporting which car the keyfob came from.

3. Bernie Ferrone

Bernie Ferrone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Everything I have read says that anyone can take a used smart key and following the instructions on the forum, program it to be a dumb key, ie. you will have to insert it in the dash slot to be able to start the Prius. You can have the dealer cut you a new key blank to gain access to the car. I am told that you cannot reprogram a used smart key to do the smart ket unique functions like touch opening and starting unles you start with a new key and have the dealer program it. Good luck.

4. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That was the story until very recently. I have 3 keys, the original 2, plus a previously used eBay key that now has full function. The eBay key failed to register when I got it several years ago, but a "Smart Code Reset" got it registered recently. It took an extra 20 minutes or so of the mechanic's time, plus a trip to the office to get the magic code number that allowed the process to continue.

5. direstraits71

direstraits71 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    What was the cost for the reset/reprogramming if you don't mind?

6. n24005

n24005 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Soon to be a 2 Prius family..... 2008 II and 2010 II...

Can we teach the 2008 to recognize the 2010's Smartkey? I assume that the key simply transmits a RFID code and does not have any car specific information stored on it..

Thanks,
    Jeff

7. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There is a good discussion about using eBay keys at Adding, deleting, and replacing Prius Smart Keys and Smart key costs . The price at Art's Automotive in Berkeley, California is 1.25 hours per key plus $38 code lookup fee. At their $98/hour rate, that comes to about $160 for registering 1 eBay key.

There has been some discussion about using a single keyfob on multiple cars. As far as I know, nobody has had any success with the remote/proximity functions. The keyfob in the dash function should work fine. Cutting a mechanical key that works in two Gen2 vehicles should be possible, as the key is double sided. Kicker is that the lock uses 4 cuts on each side of the key, so a "duplicate" would have to be a blend of the two keys. Mixing Gen2 & Gen3 keyfobs is totally uncharted territory.

1 person likes this.
  8. ArtsAutomotive

ArtsAutomotive New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We recently migrated the site, I've fixed the permanent redirects so those links above will work.

I specifically signed up to the site to try to correct the misinformation that's been surrounding the smart key and eBay keys specifically.

Here's the basics:

With an eBay key, you can pair it to the immobilizer ECU with little-to-no trouble and it WILL work in the dash board to start the vehicle. IT WILL NOT have any smart functionality

With an eBay key, you can make it smart by registering it to your Prius's smart key ECU, but this is not easy. It requires a locksmithing license, toyota techstream or the mastertech scanner, toyota security professionals subscription, a $40 fee for the above-mentioned "magic number" (the seed value), and the knowledge about how to supplant the eBay key's VID because it CANNOT be deleted. This is the proprietary procedure we speak of

Brand-new keys do NOT have a VID associated with them. Therefore, you can easily pair the key to BOTH immobilizer ECU as well as smart key ECU. There is little-to-no savings for going with eBay because you have to do all the labor and seed reset stuff. Plus, most shops can't do it. The dealership may or may not be willing to accept your eBay key, but they should be able to do it at their $150 labor rate !

Read our articles and spread the word.

Keep in mind, the vehicle must be present at time of programming. Therefore, no mail orders are possible. If you're in the San Francisco bay area, we can help you

Thanks

Christian
    Systems Administrator
    Parts Manager
    Art's Automotive
    http://www.artsautomotive.com

SteveWlf, RobH and cwerdna like this.
  9. amitt

amitt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hi Friends,

I am asking regarding prius 2006 with smart key( silver toyota logo), is it possible to do the configuration as the dealer does using the mini CVI that I'm about to buy from ebay?
    I do not care about the "smart" option for the spare key, I just need it to work in case of emergency, and I plan to buy the spare key from ebay.
    Thanks!

10. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I don't know about the mini VCI but I do know about the "chicken dance" See this thread/sticky
    How to Program a New Key Fob for Full SKS Functionality | PriusChat