1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smart keys start car in slot but nothing else

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by SirWillae, May 31, 2014.

1. SirWillae

SirWillae Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Long story, so please bear with me. I've been reading through the forums and found plenty of people with the (almost) converse problem; but not this exact problem.

A couple years ago, my wife lost her keys and we had to get a new key for her 2004 Prius. I had the 2nd key so it wasn't a huge deal. A few weeks later, she found the keys so now we have 3 keys for her Prius. I almost never drive my wife's car. Every time I do (with my smart key), I have to put the smart key in the slot. I figured it was just because the battery in the smart key was dead and I didn't care enough to replace it.

Fast forward to today. I went to drive my wife's car with my smart key and I finally decided to change the battery. After replacing the battery, I tried to lock/unlock the car it didn't work. I took the battery out, tested it (even though it was a fresh battery), re-seated it and tried again. Again, no luck.

Now my smart key is pretty beat up. In fact, the panic button is missing. So I figured maybe it's just broken. Fortunately, we have the 3rd smart key. I grabbed it, replaced the battery and tried it out. Still no luck. Two broken smart keys? Seems unlikely. And, indeed, they're not completely broken. Both keys will allow you to start the car when inserted in to the slot.

Here's a summary of where I stand. My wife's smart key works perfectly. I have 2 other smart keys that will allow you to start the car when inserted in to the slot, but nothing else. The lock/unlock doesn't work. The smart entry doesn't work. The smart ignition doesn't work.

I've know the dealers typically charge ~$100 to reprogram a smart key. I'm not at the point where I feel the need to do that, simply because my wife's smart key works fine. But is there some way I can fix this problem on my own? Is it possible that the two broken keys don't really need to be reprogrammed? After all, they're still performing the most important job - starting the car. Perhaps they just need to be... re-synced? Here's hoping.

Thanks in advance,
    Bill

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    check to see if the 2 non working fobs don't have a stuck button. press all 3 buttons and see if they all work as it should, they shouldn't stick.

You honestly only need 2 working fobs, so worse case, you buy 1 new fob. They are available online for about $110 and you can program it yourself.

#2 JC91006, May 31, 2014
    Last edited: May 31, 2014
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think when they program to a new key, they reprogram the computer, so it won't work with the old keys.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    They have a working master, just need to duplicate with self programming. Also known as the chicken dance

SM-N900P ?

5. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    To get a "used" smartkey fully mated to the car it will require a Seed Reset. Not many dealers will do this and very few independent shops have the knowledge and/or equipment to do it. If you happen to be near Boulder, CO we can do it.

Another option is to buy a NEW virgin fob and program yourself, then sell the old fob on Ebay. Market price for used Smartkey fobs is around $60 these days.