1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smart looks, poor manners: Fortwo is small on performance, ride -- but great for parking

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by cwerdna, Apr 2, 2008.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  2. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I wouldn't say the transmission is crap. I've driven the new Smart and liked it. In manual mode the transmission shifts very slowly but is better when shifted manually. You also need to modulate the throttle when shifting like in a normal manual. If you do this then the shifting is OK, not great. However, I've also driven VW's triptronic and found the same issues. The shifts are slow in auto mode and jerky in manual mode unless you match RPM's like a normal manual.

I would take any opinions on the ride with a grain of salt. Having lived in Michigan for 22 years and still visiting at least once a year I would have to say the Michigan roads, and Detroit roads in particular are the worst I have ever driven. They are even worse than roads in rural Czech Republic and Poland.

3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The transmission is a plus if you plan to convert to an EV.

4. KandyRedCoi

KandyRedCoi S is for Super!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    i was actually considering a smart car, esp since one of my buddies runs a dealership, but really needed the extra back seats

great car for what it is, wont take the freeway or long drives like the prius would, but in crowded city streets...that car will totally SHINE!!!

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    lol. Then you didn't test drive one or you drove one like an automatic.

The transmission is a LOT better than the diesel one, trust me. I've driven both. The diesel one has a lag so large, I was reading the road markers before it shifted and pointed back up so I can see the road ahead again.

This 451's transmission is a lot better and when driven like a manual, it smooths out to the point where there is no rocking motion. It's a fun car to drive and wouldn't mind having one in the fleet.

6. KandyRedCoi

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    yeah I totally preffered driving it in manual using the flappy paddles its fun
    the jerk doesn't bother me, my moms QP kinna does the same thing

7. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  8. KandyRedCoi

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    ^parking yes, illegal in cali^

9. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    :rofl:

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  11. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Very few, I'd imagine, since the vehicle would basically be invisible at night. Reflectors only work if they are facing the correct direction.

12. KandyRedCoi

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    ^your kidding me, US has the most reflectors clad on to our cars, even my lil lotus has like 8 reflectors on every side of the car, and that thing is tiny...LOL^

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    depends how narrow the street is. The new smart is slightly longer than the old model so it will stick out a tad more so I recommend parking on wider streets only (for perpendicular parking).

A wider street will also give the other driver more room to manoeuvre in case they can't see you pulling out (using hazard lights would work)

14. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't perpendicular park the Smart because I think in most instances it would stick out too much as its length is much greater than any car's width.

The Smart is 106.1 inches long. But the midsize Camry is 71.7 inches wide. And even the gigantic Suburban is 79.1 inches wide. So we're talking about the Smart sticking 2 to 3 feet further out than other cars. Sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah but keep in mind that you don't park 0 inches from the curb. Usually within 12 inches.

Normally, the bumper would be sticking out (anything fore of the windshield) that's why I said it's best if you perpendicular park on a wide street or one where the parking spaces are generous in width.

The new smart is 20cm longer than the old.

16. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually, in Manhattan, most parallel parkers park 0-6 inches from the curb (I and many others try to park within an inch).

In any event, assuming parallel parkers park 12 inches from the curb, that still leaves 1 to 2 feet of Smart's rear hanging out there. And even if the Smart were to overhang its front end over the curb, there'd still be a lot of the Smart's rear exposed. Not to mention that the parallel parkers -- instead of "tapping" the Smart's bumpers while getting in or out of a tight parallel park, will be tapping the Smart's body sides.

Really, for me it would have to be almost a life or death emergency before I would perpendicular park a Smart among parallel parked cars.