1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smartkey not working on driver door

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jglonek, May 30, 2013.

1. jglonek

jglonek Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Hi all,

I've been having an issue with my smartkey system since I did sound deadening on my car last weekend and had disconnected the auxiliary battery a few times during the process.

I cannot get the driver door to unlock by grabbing the handle.

It works on the hatch and the passenger door though, and the lock part works on the driver's door. Just not the unlock.

I'm just wondering if anyone has suggestions. I did try both keys and it's the same issue. I tried different settings with the smartkey system and same deal. I was thinking maybe a loose wire but I would think both the lock and unlock would be on the same one, and the lock portion works.

Also, not sure if it's related but when I lock my car now (with the keyfob or the door) it does two slow beeps. I'm pretty sure it was only doing one fast beep before. Not quite sure what that means.

Thanks in advance!

2. jglonek

jglonek Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
  3. vincent1449p

vincent1449p Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Hi jglonek,

There are 2 separate touch sensors on the door handle; one on the inner side of the handle for unlocking and the other on the outer side of the handle for locking. If locking works, that means the outside electrical key antenna and the door lock motor are working. I would suspect the unlock sensor wire harness.

1 beep is for locked and 2 beeps are for unlocked. Please confirm that your doors are locked by moving your keyfob away from the detection area and then try to open the doors. You have to perform this within 60 secs. or so, after which the car will automatically lock if none of the doors are opened within this period.

Vincent

dave77 likes this.
  4. jglonek

jglonek Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I will check this tomorrow, thanks! Will it be easy to figure out which one is the locking harness?

The one thing I forgot to mention is that the door locking was working on and off for two days after I took the door apart and then stopped. So something is loose I guess?

5. vincent1449p

vincent1449p Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    I don't have the c Repair Manual, but I suppose it is similar to the 2010 Gen3 Repair Manual. Here is the connectors taken from the Gen 3 Repair Manual:

Front Door Outside Handle Assembly to Certification ECU.JPG

*1 is the Certification ECU connector
    *2 is the Front Door Outside Handle Assembly connector

z3-1 is for Locking sensor and z3-4 is for Touch sensor (unlocking). It is highly likely that z3-4 came loose.

Vincent

6. jglonek

jglonek Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I took the door apart and unplugged what I believe was the connector and then put it back in, and checked all the other wires I could see. I put the aux battery back together and tested things out and so far it's working! I'll see what happens. But thanks!

7. jglonek

jglonek Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Oh I should mention its still doing the two beeps when I lock. I did verify and all the doors were locked. It's not the fast two beeps of unlock. It's a slow beep [pause] beep