1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Snow Tires - Opinion about Coopers

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Paige, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Paige

Paige Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

I've been told i should get snow tires for my 2005 Prius. The best tire place in town can get me Cooper WeatherMasters, $100 each (this includes the installation). This is a lot for me right now but i don't think i can get a better price unless i go to a big city.

Any opinions either way out there about this?

Thanks in advance!
    Paige

2. Paige

Paige Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

OH! And i fogot my other question -- what should i keep snow tires inflated to? My mileage has plummeted to below 40mpg. I've been told to check the air pressure in my tires and to keep them inflated to 32-35psi. Is this the same for snow tires?

3. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Try 42 Front, 40 Rear. If the ride is too rough, drop it a couple of pounds until you are happy with the ride.

The placard spec is "minimum" and what Toyota suggests for the best ride, but not the best MPG.

Maintain your pressure two pounds higher in the front than the rear. Do NOT exceed the maximum pressure which is stamped on the side of your tires.

More air pressure, better the mileage. MPG always drops during the colder part of the year. Since the Prius get's such great mileage, the cold temps really make the difference show. When it get warmer and drier next spring your MPG will return.

Also "Welcome to Prius Chat".

Paige likes this.
  4. Paige

Paige Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Big thanks, dorunron -- for the info and the welcome! I'm really glad I found PriusChat. I've already learned stuff I needed to know just from reading the stickies.
    :)
    Laurie