1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So... has anyone successfully removed a bulb from the parking light?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by burstaneurysm, Jan 24, 2014.

1. burstaneurysm

burstaneurysm Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I went to change out my single LED bulb from the parking light to a 5050smd bulb.
    Driver's side, no problem, but when I pulled the socket on the passenger's side, the bulb popped and is stuck in the headlight.

Who has an extraction tip for me? It's 13 degrees out right now, so I'm really tempted to just say screw it until March, but still... it's pretty annoying.

2. peterjmc

peterjmc Ping pong in Ding Dang...

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The only way to get the bulb out of the passenger side light is to remove the headlight. leave the loose bulb in there until you can get warm in a garage or it's warm enough outside. It's going to require you to pull off the front bumper, or at least enough so you can pull it away from the headlight, and undo the two bolts securing the headlight to pull it off.

I've dropped bulbs in the passenger headlight twice. I blame it on the awkward angle your hand needs to be in to put the socket back in... lol

3. burstaneurysm

burstaneurysm Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. It's the stupid angle of the intake, not only does it chew your hand up but it really doesn't make the removal or reinstallation any easier.

Springs are going on when it warms up, so I'll just wait until then and pull the bumper at the same time.

4. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Be ready for a little rattle on uneven surfaces....

5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Some have successfully removed errant bulbs with one of those long grabber tools with the 3-fingered "claw" at the end.

24" 2-in-1 Pickup Tool

Go through the high beam socket after you remove the bulb.

Remove the 3 bolts holding the intake hose and you can also remove the bolts holding the washer reservoir to move it out of the way for better access.

SCH-I535

6. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Not necessarily. I've dropped one and created my own makeshift tool to fish it out successfully. Open up a large paper clip and cover one end with painters or masking tape (to avoid it scratching the inside of the lens). Wrap a floss around it going up the shaft of the paper clip and make a small loop. You can shape the paperclip as needed to conform to the space/hole. Took me several tries before I managed to fish it out into the hole. It dropped to the bottom of the engine bay but I didn't care about saving it.