1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So here's a nice one: I get rear ended and the v has only 1100 miles on it

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by GerryL, Aug 23, 2012.

1. GerryL

GerryL Master Model Railroader

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Classic case of "traffic on the freeway stops, I stop, the guy behind me doesn't."

I'd had the car 5 weeks and it had all of 1,100 miles on it. I'd had my Jeep Grand Cherokee for 12 years and 193,000 miles, and it didn't have a scratch on it when I traded it in.

Thankfully there wasn't any damage beyond the rear bumper, which is costing his insurance company $565 to replace.

But still...

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So many reasons to be grateful... #1) you were in an accident and you were not injured or killed. I'm sure you can think of all the rest of 'em. It could be a long list...

3. CLUBGUY

CLUBGUY Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Often thought how much $$$ an accident would reduce the value of the vehicle....ie: if the repair is recorded in a "CarFax" report....some dealers do not want a late model trade if it doesn't have a "clean CarFax" report...

4. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yeah, body OK, but heart hurts!

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    bummer man, i often watch my rear view because the idiot's behind me don't seem to understand the potential for emergency stops. of course, half the time, they're spaced out on the phone or texting.

6. btcompute

btcompute Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You think that's bad...

I backed my brand new Prius V into my wife's pickup truck when I backed out of the garage one afternoon.

She's still giving me a hard time about not using the backup camera.

7. GerryL

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Ya, that IS pretty sad... now I don't feel so bad!

8. Malibujosh

Malibujosh New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

9. Malibujosh

Malibujosh New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I feel your pain. I was hot from behind on a busy street in Los Angeles from a new 16 year old with only 500 miles.. :(. Make sure you have the bumper repaired 100% Toyota parts/foam. Should be ok when u sell.

10. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    To the extent my pain can make you feel a bit better, you can read through the first couple of posts of my very early adventures with my 2010: Again & Again!! Third Time to be Hit in Four Months -- Back to the Same Repair Shop . . Again! I had just fixed my 2007 Prius when I traded it in on my 2010. Two happy months later, my 2010 was crunched. In the end, it was hit three times in four months, and each one caused damage, lost time, etc. The best part is that no one was hurt. What it means to resale of my 2010 is yet to be seen. At 59,000 miles, it is running quite well, and I can't see there have been any ill effects from any of the accidents (except to my wallet!!).

11. GerryL

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Hopefully these cars aren't magnets for destruction!

12. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Remember: It has been nearly three years since the last of the three. The guy who did the most recent (last? final?) repair called me over to look at the car. He'd removed the left front fender and wanted to show me something. He said: "See that?" I said: "What?" He replied: "See? I opened it up and couldn't find the magnet." I was a bit confused, and then he chuckled and said: "Well, you kept getting hit in the same place, and I thought there had to be a magnet to attract those cars." I wasn't fully amused, and the added: "Don't worry. There's no reason to believe it will happen again."

So far, so good.

13. GerryL

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    One interesting note: when I talked to the guy at the Toyota Collision Center today, he said that their mechanic, who works exclusively on Priuses, mentioned that mine was the first "v" he'd ever seen. The mechanic said that it was a lot roomier than he expected and liked the interior much better than the regular Prius hatchback.

On the down side, it took them 5 days to fix the bumper when they told me it would take 2. He said they were "backed up in the shop."

14. pardreamer

pardreamer Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  15. norahs

norahs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    sorry to hear about your new Prius V!

I also got rear ended during traffic on the freeway this week :( I was so in shock and though damage was really minimal, with my heart racing... all I could manage to say was "but but I just got this last monthhhhh"

Is their insurance paying to replace your bumper? I got one estimate from a body shop that doesn't believe Farmers(other party's insurance) will pay to replace and only to repair($700)

16. GerryL

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    No bumper replacement, just a full repair (almost $700). I picked it up today -- it looks picture perfect.

17. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Congrats!

18. GerryL

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Here's something unbelievable: I got rear-ended AGAIN today. This time I have 2200 miles on it. Was sitting stopped, waiting for a traffic light when, BOOM! And unbelievably enough, I was hit by a kid in a Jeep Liberty -- same as the first time. Thankfully there's only a 1/2" scuff. But what IS it with this car?? Every 1100 miles I get hit? Did someone pin a "HIT ME" sign on the back?

19. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's not the car it's your attitude... Stop being such a drama magnet....

A 1/2 inch scuff? That's it? And it was "BOOM"

Really?

That's not getting rear-ended, that's not even a fender bender... Someone bumped you... Maybe if you didn't makes so much drama out of something minor you wouldn't be attracting more of it?

Seriously... people get rear-ended at even low speed and get their car totaled or get a serious neck injury that takes years to recover from and you're acting like you're in the same club? Spare us...

20. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Sorry to hear the bad news about your 2nd fender bender. I hope they don't come in threes. Your HIT ME comment made me laugh and showed that you have a healthy sense of humor. I didn't think you were being dramatic about getting hit twice in 2200 miles. Frankly I think Prius Camper's post shows more about his attitude than yours.

reidfm and MandyTee like this.