1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So I am told my rears springs are broken...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by preludedude, Mar 20, 2013.

1. preludedude

preludedude Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    'O6 Prius.
    So I took my car in today to the shop I normally take it to. These guys have always been straight with me.
    I have almost 84K on it, and they told me I need new front brakes and a new serpentine belt.
    Cool. Normal wear and tear.
    But then he threw a curveball at me and told me my rear springs are broken. Good Lord.

Has anyone else out their experienced this, or am I just a Lucky Guy?:(

Thanks in advance-
    Jeff

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Any dramatic ride changes? I don't think you would be driving it if a spring was actually broken. Maybe the shock is bad or some component has a crack? I would double check the diagnosis and then get a second opinion.

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    On a Prius v station wagon? That has 84,000 miles in under a year? Or is this really a Gen 2 Prius and not a v at all?
    (See how rjparker has all that filled out so we do not have to guess?)

4. B2FiNiTY

B2FiNiTY Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    can't really seeing that happening... unless something tragic or flawed occurred.

5. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Did they put the car on a lift and show you?

6. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I wasn't guessing because he said it was an 06.

7. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Good opportunity to change out the shocks and springs and move on, it's possible it broke and settled but... that corner of the car would be observably lower.
    OEM parts are at best the lowest quote the builder got at the time of assembly, aftermarket might have more integrity, Yes kyb supplies oem, but I think their selection for aftermarket is more durable, (shocks), for springs go TDR, toyotas racing division they are thicker and bright (shiny);) jmho,ymmv

8. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Do you pack the car heavy and drive around or drive on unpaved roads? Springs cracking is rare or so I believe. Whatever it is fix it and chalk it up to experience

9. preludedude

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the input, guys. And...I filled in my info! :)

I just picked up the car: The serpentine and and front brakes replacement set me back $440. The estimate to replace the springs is...$450.

No, I didn't ask these guys to show me the spring, but I have taken my car here since it was new, and they have always been honest with me: One time I took my car to the dealer for a recall and they tried to sell me new bearings...I took it to my place, and he told me I needed no such thing. Time proved him right; that I didn't need the work.

He told me that they weren't broken completely, but they were cracked. I asked him if it was safe to drive the car from Ohio to NC and he said Yes, but to not load the car down. When I get back, I will have the springs replaced.

I don't drive around with much in the back, so I doubt that has anything to do with. About the closest I can say to that it that I live in an urban area with a lot of potholes.

This is the only unexpected "Bummer!" I have had in my 84K miles since I bought it new. (Okay: It wears tires too fast, but whatever.) I suppose it's possible shop is selling me something I don't need, but based on my experience, it's damned unlikely.

So, I guess I found the chink in the proverbial armor...

10. B2FiNiTY

B2FiNiTY Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Just curious, how much did they quote you to change out the rear springs?

I bet you could find a used set on here or ebay for cheap.

11. preludedude

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The guy at my shot asked me that exactly, and honestly, I haven't noticed much of a difference. I HAVE noticed a slight drop in my mpg, but thought that was due to my snow tires.

12. preludedude

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I appreciate that.
    Not sure. He quoted me the "out the door" price, which was $450. I am sure I could do it a bit cheaper: Hell, my dad has done his himself. But for better or worse, I view a good, honest mechanic with the same regard as a good, honest woman...

13. B2FiNiTY

B2FiNiTY Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    That's awfully expensive but I guess they have to make money.

It's literally a 5 minute job if you have a lift. With just a floor jack and jack stands, probably 10-15, it will take more time to jack up the car than to replace the springs.

14. preludedude

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't you have to have some sort of spring compressor? Or am I thinking of something else?

15. B2FiNiTY

B2FiNiTY Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    You won't need one for the rear.

I couldn't find a better pic but all you have to do is raise the rear of the car, put it on jack stands, (recommend to wheel chock the front wheels), remove the rear wheels (optional, gives you more room to work on), remove bottom shock bolt/nut. By now the whole rear suspension will drop and you can get the springs out easily. The rear shocks and rear springs are independent of each other, makes life a lot easier.

[​IMG]

preludedude likes this.
  16. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Is this a rust belt car?
    Modern cars often suffer spring breakage from corrosion.
    When manufactured the springs are coated to resist corrosion but usually there's a small patch that is not coated (where the spring is hung after coating) and that's where the spring will rust then suffer a fatique fracture.
    I have replaced broken springs on our Subaru Outback and BMW 328i. Usually it breaks near the spring seat and the car doesn't settle much at the time.
    In both of my cases I noticed a rattling or ringing noise from the broken off end jiggling in the spring seat.

17. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    An '06 has McPherson struts front and rear, spring compressor, check

My '06 wanted new shocks at 90ish, didn't do the springs, should have

18. preludedude

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Indeed it is: Cleveland, Ohio. I am sure that has something to do with it.

19. preludedude

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmmm...That is mighty tempting to try...

20. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Or at least to jack it up and take a look. You'd think a broken spring would be pretty noticeable, maybe he said boken but meant "worn" (sagging).